PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I was wondering what stores across America are still in business that have the largest selection of pipes and pipe tobacco. I want to make sure in my travels or planning vacations that I hit any of those that are still around. As an example I just learned about LJ Peretti recently from reading posts on here (http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/damn-you-lj-peretti) and would so love to visit shops such as this.
Locally all I have here is a few heads shops with the usual "pipe" tobacco sold as roll your own and a couple of others that have very minimal pipes and tobacco. They treat it almost as an afterthought imo.
Thanks in advance for participating in this thread and helping me out!

We have several pipe shops in the Birmingham, Alabama area, but only one specializes in artisan pipes and has an awesome selection of tobaccos. It is called The Briary, owned by the pipemaker Skip Elliot, and he has hundreds of artisan made pipes with a hand full of factory pipes also. I never realized how lucky we are to have this place locally, until I started travelling and looking up other pipe shops, and I've yet to find one that rivals it (but my travel isn't extensive, ha ha). It is awesome to have a wall of tins and a room full of bulk to chose from and a lounge with couches to hang out with friends or make new friends while smoking your pipe. And, whenever I go in there, there are always a few people who traveled a day or more just to visit the shop.
They are they type of place that proves "If you build it, they will come."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Triangle area in central North Carolina has two independent pipe and cigar shops (not counting

head shops, cigarette centered shops, Tinder Box, and a distant JR outlet). They are Pipes by George

on Hillsboro Street, between the North Carolina State University campus and the Raleigh downtown,

and Tobacconists of Cary, west of Raleigh in the large Raleigh suburb of Cary, at 2434 SW Cary Pkwy.

Pipes by George is the grand old man of pipe shops, with wide plank floors, dart boards and a walk-in

humidor, a wall of pipes, and an old fashioned cash register and tobacco scale.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I'll admit I'm not familiar with large B&Ms, but a name I keep hearing is Iwan Ries
http://www.iwanries.com/
Unfortunately, the local B&Ms around me cater more to cigar smokers, and do not have much variety in their pipe tobacco. One of my favorites carries Dunhill, Sutliff, and MacBaren. I would love to live near a large PIPE B&M

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Iwan Ries is definitely King of the Hill. It's worth going out of your way to see their incredible selection of pipes. You might want to clip a golfer's towel to your belt, you'll be drooling a lot.

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
The Briar and Burley in Bloomington, Indiana is a great shop. Their website says they have over 2,000 pipes in stock and I believe it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Nat Sherman in Manhattan a lot, 12 East 42nd Street. It has an expansive walk-in humidor and plenty of chairs for smoking. The staff is knowledgeable and very helpful. A Sales Associate helped me select their Nat Sherman 536 in bulk, a great English blend, one of my favorites. Then I sat down in a rocker and took out my Jerry Perry bent billiard from the Blue Ridge foothills and enjoyed a pleasant smoke. It was a good hour. I have done a lot of business over the years with Iwan Ries, but all online. When I was growing up in the Chicago area, and commuting downtown to school, I didn't have the pipe bug yet -- too professorial, from my college student point of view.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
When I tour in the US last year - I stopped in Charottesville, VA at the C'Ville Smoke Shop - they had two locations - both had an excellent pipe selection. Then in Gaitlenburg, TN, there is the Gaitlen Burlier.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Be helpful to know where the OP lives, and where he's likely to travel. Briar Patch in Sacramento is worth a visit. http://www.briarpatch.biz
Safe journeys!

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Unfortunately we have nothing I know of in Northeast Ohio. I think there is a pipe maker in Columbus, but I could be wrong.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Low Country Pipes and Cigars, aka Smoking Pipes B&M, is awesome. Stopped in there this summer during my golf vacation in Myrtle Beach, and it's very friendly. Lots of jars and tins to try in a comfortable setting.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I just stopped into The Briar and Burley in Bloomington, Indiana. Wow. Great inventory on hand. I hope to go back.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
If you're in New Orleans, Mayan Import Company is decent. Just north of NOLA in Metairie they have another store. Nearby is Habana Port, which doesn't have a huge selection but I go there for bulk C&D blends.

If you are in Washington, D.C., be sure to visit Georgetown Tobacco.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If you happen up this way, you do need to go to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. Paul was a legend who just died last year at age 100. Check out the museum upstairs.

Another vote for Paul’s.
If you ever visit Chicago, plan an afternoon around checking out Iwan Ries in the loop. Lots of pipes ... seriously. Plan to drop a few bucks; you will find something you like there.

mppd

Lurker
Feb 27, 2019
If you make your way to the Commonwealth to visit L.J. Peretti another place worth visiting is Leavitt & Peirce in Harvard Sq. (Cambridge). From L.J. Peretti you can walk across the Common to Park St. Station, hop on the Red Line towards Alewife, and hop off at Harvard Square station. From there L&P is a short walk. As for the house blends at L&P I recommend Judge's Mixture. Unfortunately L&P no longer allows smoking on premises. Alas. It's still an amazing place though and worth a visit in person.
https://www.leavittandpeirce.com

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
If you are visiting San Francisco, go across the Golden Gate Bridge to Telford's, in Mill Valley - Marin County. It is a very friendly, classy, amply pipe oriented tobacconist with lots of chairs to smoke, both indoors and on the porch.
hp

les

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Does nat sherman do any online pipe tobacco sales all i can seem to find is fancy cigarettes by them.?

Status
Not open for further replies.