PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glfjunke2

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
Last 2 tins I received were heavily doused with PG to the point that I had to return. The pouch was fine but the tin wasn’t even close. Previously when I bought the tins; they were excellent and you could definitely detect the cocoa and molasses when popping the top. Anybody else have this issue? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: alexander87

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the valued features of PC's Midtown series of baggie and tub tobaccos, matches to some of the old standards currently sold and others long gone, is that they have fewer additives than the originals. People tend to like them better for that reason. You can sample these in baggie form at a reasonable price, and then order any you especially like in a tub, also at a reasonable price. I am lucky (?) to not pick up much on PG and other preservatives, but I do appreciate less doctored blends that just taste better.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I bought a few pounds of bulk Lane Ready Rubbed a year or so ago and didn't detect any unusual levels of PG or anything else goopy. I jarred it all up, and it's smoking great!

+1 on what MSO said. I've really been enjoying Russ's Chatham Manor from the Midtown series. It's a Carter Hall match, and though I think it's quite a bit different than Carter Hall, I've come to prefer it over Carter Hall. I also really want to try Angler's Dream. I think it's not part of the "Midtown Series" but regardless, it's another modern take on old school OTC blends by a top blender using top quality leaf and no goopy humectants.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
My tub of LLRR is about a year old, but I can't detect any PG. The Sutliff version is very good, though, if it continues to be a problem.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a tub of the new that I have not opened. I am currently smoking the original tub from 2013 and will see how they compare...
Exactly the same. Was a fan before It was discontinued, and grabbed a bunch when it was brought back two years ago.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
This might sound like a ridiculous request, but can you guys recommend a mixture that's consistently loaded with too much PG and other additives, and a contrasting blend that is not? I'm almost reluctant to admit that I cannot, or maybe I don't discern the flavor of PG. Maybe I do taste PG and don't even realize it?

I usually smoke Lane Ltd. bulk -"HGL"...and have read that Lane's tobacco offerings and PG are no strangers.

So, school me....please. Recommend some blends ....that I can buy in a small sample-sizes....with too much PG and blends that are not PG loaded. Perhaps, Wilke's "High Hat" will do for a blend that doesn't have PG, and Lane's "HGL" will serve as the contrasting blend? I already have both.

Thanks, friends.

Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I think a good compare/contrast set would be Carter Hall and Chatham Manor. I believe they’re supposed to be similar to each other in content and taste, but Carter Hall, to me, has quite a strong PG taste, whereas Chatham Manor, if I remember correctly, has no PG.

Reactions: didimauw

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I think a good compare/contrast set would be Carter Hall and Chatham Manor. I believe they’re supposed to be similar to each other in content and taste, but Carter Hall, to me, has quite a strong PG taste, whereas Chatham Manor, if I remember correctly, has no PG.

Carter Hall used to be my burley blend of choice. Now, it's Chatham Manor, though it did take about half a tub for it to fully grow on me. I think the two blends are quite similar, but with obvious differences. Carter Hall has a sort of toasty bready note that is not as prevalent in Chatham Manor. The quality of the CM tobacco above Carter Hall is also obvious, and there is none of that artificial taste in CM that can develop part way through a bowl of CH. CM also maintains its flavor through an entire bowl, whereas CH tends to get a little ashy past the halfway point.

Overall, CM is just a really well-executed ideal burley blend. All the molasses, earthiness, and cocoa notes intrinsic to burley are there, plus a great little bourbon / vanilla topping that meshes very well with the tobacco-forward taste.

I prefer Sutliff's version myself.

Given the response to Sutfliff vs. Lane Ready Rubbed, I will have to try the Sutliff match.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Given the response to Sutfliff vs. Lane Ready Rubbed, I will have to try the Sutliff match.
Chatham Manor and Angler's Dream are also manufactured by Sutliff so you'll likely enjoy RR. Sweet Cask is another.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawdawg

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed back in the late 70s and early 80s before it was discontinued. My dad smoked it consistently going all the way back to the 1950s...I have not tried the Lane product so I cannot concur with or confirm the level of propylene glycol.... I have smoked the Sutilif product and found it to be very close in favor and smokabilty to the original. But the Sutliff Match product is still quite a bit damper than how I recall the original was, so it must have a considerable amount of PG in it as well.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The original would turn into something resembling Post Grape Nuts very quickly if you didn't keep it in a humidor.
Sounds like the Sutliff one for sure. I like keeping them as sold in storage, but when I get ready to smoke it I like it dry. Grape Nuts is certainly a good description of what it's like when I drop it into a pipe.?

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I love this blend but I have had a bad pouch. Most of the time it has too much PG but sometimes it’s absurd. It leaves a kind of film on my teeth as well. I get that same feeling from HGL too so maybe it’s a Lane thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.