PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Hello all

I am working on a Lane Era Freehand Charatan Executive right now and it’s a beautiful pipe. But, for the life of me I cannnot get the oxidization from out of the creases in the double comfort stem. I am trying to do everything as lightly as possible. I’ve tried micro mesh to no avail, today I picked up a revlon nail polish board to try to get right in the corner. It did a good job of the rest of the stem, but still the crease remains oxidized...

I’ve included in pictures with hopes that someone here has dealt with this bugger of an issue before.

Many thanks!

Andrew

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I fold up 2000 sandpaper to make a nice sharp corner (like you folded a paper airplane when you were a kid, making creases with your fingernails) and then run that corner back and forth in the crease. It takes a while but it works for me.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
And here I was thinking about some fine string and toothpaste solution.

Thank you very much :)

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Magic Eraser or an abrasive powder or paste on moist paper towel usually works for me on spots like that, but I've never done a DC stem. Give it another few hours, and there'll probably be another 20 correct ways of doing this listed below.

Reactions: diamondback

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I dip the stem into a small bowl of Oxy-Clean solution and while wet use an X-Acto knife and very carefully scrape with the blade at a 90 degree angle. Then finish with Micro-Mesh pads.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Sorry, it’s been a full couple of weeks and I haven’t gotten to do any restoring during that time... missing it actually.

I have got some 1500 wet sand paper that I’ll fold over and try first of that doesn’t go then I have picked up some razor blades and am going to try that while dipped in OxyClean.

Though it’s getting cold and snowy here In Toronto so I am not able to get my buffer out to polish and wax my newly restored pipes a little dissuading. But alas, maybe I’ll get some done and wait for a warm day to do a match of them.

Thanks for all the suggestions I’ll post some pics as I make progress. This is a beautiful pipe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.