PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Tobacco's more of a privilege than a right.

Literally every activity between tilling the soil to accept seed, and my striking a match to the pipe, is carried out by the voluntary action of an adult, without violating the rights of anyone else.

Any restriction on these transactions is placed by an authority that imposes its judgment over that of an adult individual who is not violating anyone else’s rights. There are many justifications for the state nannying its citizens, and people seem to love their governments doing so (as we reliably keep voting them in), but the justifications are not on the grounds of rights.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Literally every activity between tilling the soil to accept seed, and my striking a match to the pipe, is carried out by the voluntary action of an adult, without violating the rights of anyone else.
Voluntary yes, but once the plant becomes a product, it falls under the FDA for drug content.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Voluntary yes, but once the plant becomes a product, it falls under the FDA for drug content.
Oh, sure. No argument there. I’m Canadian, I am very accustomed to government regulations. If I hold the match wrong I’ll get a fine. Governments have the power and the authority.

I’m just not convinced it’s about rights, certainly not the ones they used to talk about in 1789.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I stand in awe of your right assertion. Please accept my apology for my seemingly improper use of a brilliant quote. Have a good evening, my friend.
No offense implied nor intended. George Orwell painted an eerily accurate picture of what we are looking at today. My intention was that none of the powers that be view the things that we enjoy as necessary rights. Many apologies.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Democracy: two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
tenor.gif

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"A felon is denied the right to bear arms and so forth." There is a lot of discussion as to the right of the various governments to deny guaranteed rights. Fascinating discussions indeed. So far the judiciary has held certain rights may be denied to certain people. Which for all intents and purposes means, no "Rights" or "rights" are indeed guaranteed in the hands of judiciary.

Status
Not open for further replies.