PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
“Always in your stomach and in your skin there was a sort of protest, a feeling that you had been cheated of something that you had a right to.” ~ George Orwell 1984
Victory Pipe Tobacco to be the only blend available soon?

Meh, who am I kidding... the only thing available to smoke will be pot.

Casual

Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Tobacco's more of a privilege than a right.
Literally every activity between tilling the soil to accept seed, and my striking a match to the pipe, is carried out by the voluntary action of an adult, without violating the rights of anyone else.

Any restriction on these transactions is placed by an authority that imposes its judgment over that of an adult individual who is not violating anyone else’s rights. There are many justifications for the state nannying its citizens, and people seem to love their governments doing so (as we reliably keep voting them in), but the justifications are not on the grounds of rights.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Literally every activity between tilling the soil to accept seed, and my striking a match to the pipe, is carried out by the voluntary action of an adult, without violating the rights of anyone else.
Voluntary yes, but once the plant becomes a product, it falls under the FDA for drug content.

Casual

Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Voluntary yes, but once the plant becomes a product, it falls under the FDA for drug content.
Oh, sure. No argument there. I’m Canadian, I am very accustomed to government regulations. If I hold the match wrong I’ll get a fine. Governments have the power and the authority.

I’m just not convinced it’s about rights, certainly not the ones they used to talk about in 1789.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
I stand in awe of your right assertion. Please accept my apology for my seemingly improper use of a brilliant quote. Have a good evening, my friend.
No offense implied nor intended. George Orwell painted an eerily accurate picture of what we are looking at today. My intention was that none of the powers that be view the things that we enjoy as necessary rights. Many apologies.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Once certain people decided the Constitution was flexible, could be bent to suit the electorate without amending, the venerable old paper lost a lot of it's cachet. The rules can now be changed on the whim of a judge with little or no attention paid to the US Constitution.

It's not about the politics, it's about not having any certainty.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
A "Right" as enumerated in the Bill of Rights is God given and cannot be infringed upon. A "right" which is not so enumerated isn't "God given" and as such is subject to government(s) deciding leagality.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
"A felon is denied the right to bear arms and so forth." There is a lot of discussion as to the right of the various governments to deny guaranteed rights. Fascinating discussions indeed. So far the judiciary has held certain rights may be denied to certain people. Which for all intents and purposes means, no "Rights" or "rights" are indeed guaranteed in the hands of judiciary.