PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrblount

Lurker
Apr 7, 2019
Not a question but diffidently a beginner here. Having my first bowl of Lane 1-Q right now and WOW! So much better then the OTC stuff I have bought and smoked previously. I bought a tin of 4th Generation Family Reserve and H&H White Knight. Hopefully they will be as good and I can keep expanding my pipe tobacco experience.

Reactions: gamzultovah

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'm not certain for sure but I'd say a large percent of pipe smokers keep some on hand, I know I do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
1Q's a good old standard blend. I have about a third of a small jar around here somewhere.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
1-Q, rightly named because it is 1st in the queue of a loooong list of tobacco's to explore! I enjoy 1-Q as well, although have not smoked it in a few years. RLP-6 is pretty much the 1-Q with some burley added which (I think) gives the smoke something it needs.
Isaac

WhiteKnight is very good, but a totally different thing than 1Q. You will be facing a very latakia heavy blend that is accompanied by a lot of other Orientals that will give you a very incense-like smoke. All flavors that you get from WK will be pure tobacco, whereas 1Q has a vanilla topping added to give it, it's flavor.

WhiteKnight is a tobacco blended by our very Russ Ouellette from Hearth and Home tobaccos. It was designed to replicate the world famous Balkan Sobranie (which has changed over the years to not be as good as it used to be). So, he did a remix with this one to make it as close to the original as possible.
Balkan Sobranie is what gave the whole genre of Orientals the name "Balkan Blends." So, I hope you hand as much joy with that one as the 1Q.
I've never tried the 4th Generation blend you mentioned.
Enjoy!!!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
1-Q's OK, although not my own favorite Lane. For me that'd be BCA. But 1-Q is a good blend, make no mistake. :) 4th-Gen is good too; in fact I've got a new tin in the trunk that I need to remind myself to crack at lunch -- thanx! :)
Cosmic is definitely correct on WK; a move from an aro to a "lat bomb" is going to be a biiiig leap, but once that bug bites you everything less is for hoi polloi!
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think 1Q is Lane's best seller now for probably generations, and as mentioned on this thread, it is often renamed by pipe shops to sustain being the source of it for new pipe smokers. If it becomes a little too quiet for you, I think it is quite accepting of mixing in a little of other livelier leaf as whim suggests.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
If you wish to spend more time with aro's, my recommendation is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. It's the one I can't do without.

Reactions: davidy97

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
If you like 1-Q then I also recommend trying RLP-6. I like it better than 1-Q.
I am an aromatic fan myself and like most Lane products. Their Missouri Meerschaum branded Great Dane is my favorite.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
White Knight is the first one I smoked and I enjoyed it very much. The only oth I've tried is SWR.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Lane 1-Q is the tobacco that prevents me from saying "I never smoke aros." Because the stuff is just delicious. Great burn, not cloying or goopy, that toasted marshmallow aroma.
Good stuff.
I always and only smoke this in a cob, which I am convinced adds to the sweetness. It is a "dessert" smoke for sure.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I think I have 2 or 3 ounces of 1Q in a mason jar somewhere around here. The trick is finding it among all the other jars.

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is my go to now when in an aro mood

Status
Not open for further replies.