PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well I have pretty much reached my goal of having 1 tin a week to smoke for 10 years or at this point the equivalent of 503 tins (considering tins and bulk).
I have smoked cigars for 8 years and pretty much can enjoy what the cigar has to offer so there were not too many I did not like (except Camroon wrappers) so I am not worried about all the different blends I have cellared so far.
I would like to cellar the other 17 tins using true "Lakeland" blends and I need you assistance on this.
Thanks

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats on the cellar!
You can top it off with some SG FVF, Best Brown, Balkan Flake, Squadron Leader and Chocolate Flake.
BTW ... what do you not like in the Cameroon wrapper taste-wise? Just curious. :)

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
"BTW ... what do you not like in the Cameroon wrapper taste-wise? Just curious."
Considering that the Cameroon wrapper is highly sought, I tried many AF Hemi's, Partagas, etc. and could not get into them. I liked the woody note but the spice taste was not to my liking and gave me a dry mouth and a taste of old cumin that was sitting in the spice cabinet for 5 years. Not to say I don't like spice, but the various pepper tastes is what I crave. I have taken somewhat of a chance on the blends with Perique in them as I find it similar to the Cameroon taste but I don't want to just not try them because of this.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
G&H rum flake is one of my favorites. I also like Kendal flake and glengarry flake.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yep ... I know what you're talking about. The Criollo wrapper is a better one IMHO.
Maduro is my choice of wrapper 80% of the time.
So what about those SG's I listed? Tried 'em? Like 'em? :)

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Are you looking for traditional "scented" Lakelands blends, zito? SG FVF and BBF are produced in the physical style of their other Lakelands flakes, but have minimal if any of the flavorings/casings typical of what I'd call "true Lakelands tobaccos". For something closer to that style without being too over the top, I recommend G&H Best Brown #2. I'm sure there are lots of others too, but I don't smoke that style of tobacco very often myself.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
"So what about those SG's I listed? Tried 'em? Like 'em?"
I have a few of the SG FVF, Best Brown and Squadron but have not tried them.
I also smokes mainly maduro's.
I have read that the Lakelands can have a soapy, foral taste. I can handle the Floral but the soapy scares me. I am looking for the scented ones, maybe middle of the road on strength.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Lakeland tobacco is very much a love hate thing. Some people love them, others like myself hate them. I just cannot have the soap taste. Peterson Hyde Park is produced by SG and has the same taste.
Squadron Leader is a fine tobacco without the soap scent. The other problem with SG tobaccos are they come out of the tin soaking wet and take an age to dry.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Kendal Flake is very nice, to me it's mainly rose scented and the taste reminds me of turkish delight, it's very nice whilst sat in the sun.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't smoke any of the true, scented "lakelands", and, from what I know of these, wouldn't encourage anyone to cellar them without having had experience.

That said, SG makes some very fine blends. I cannot say enough good things about Best Brown Flake. I have been smoking it for many years, and consider it a staple. Sometime around the holidays I will pop a tin I set aside in December of 2004 - my first 10 year old tin. :puffy:

I am also fond of SG Balkan Flake, and Navy Flake to a lesser degree. Not as fond of Squadron Leader as I once was. Have tried FVF, Skiff, and Commonwealth and didn't go for a repeat on any of them.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I did a mini review of a few of these in my "Month Spent with Lakelands" thread, but the tl dr; version is, I like Ennerdale the best. Rum flake is good too.
I like the chocolate flakes from both Gawith's. I don't think either has the taste of a Lakeland tobbaco, even if they do have some of the topping on them.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Approach the soap with an open mind, it worked for me. The first bowl i thought it was a bit odd, but once i knew to expect it i really, really came to like that taste and i think it blends very well with the natural tobacco scents and flavours. I had a bowl of bobs choc flake last night and it was delicious. I dont smoke it often, probably only pull it out every 6 months but my notepad reviews on this blend have been increasingly positive with every bowl i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.