PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I got this idea from Troy (misterlowercase) and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it.
Take a base blend like Lakeland Dark, Peterson’s Perfect Plug, Dark Birds Eye (just to name a few) or anything you think could use a bit more flavor and/or nicotine. Get your favorite Snuff (I find that SP works excellent) and while you’re rubbing out or preparing your tobacco just take a pinch of snuff and work it into the tobacco load up and enjoy. The possibilities are endless!
Have any of y’all tried this method? Apparently it’s not a new idea, pipesmokers have been doing this for ages.
My current favorite combo is PPP and WoS SP. and so far I’ve had no trouble of ghosting my Pipes.
Try it out, it’s fun!

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
how much does the flavor from the snuff come thru in the taste? I have wanted to do this with Gawith snuffs but have never tried it

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Do something similar here with stems/sticks and birdseye that are occasionally picked from blends. Pulverizing the stem bits and sprinkling on blends adds some nicotine. The stems are where it's at for nic content.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
how much does the flavor from the snuff come thru in the taste? I have wanted to do this with Gawith snuffs but have never tried it
The flavor actually comes through quite nicely! It makes it taste a bit more British.
Do something similar here with stems/sticks and birdseye that are occasionally picked from blends. Pulverizing the stem bits and sprinkling on blends adds some nicotine. The stems are where it's at for nic content.
Yup, that's the idea, however, the snuff adds a nice flavor element to a blend. It's really fun playing around with this kind of stuff. I used to just snuff and puff, now I can kill two birds with one stone.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's how I got started in snuff. I ordered a whole bunch to add to my tobacco, and it all went up my nose....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think I ordered 3 or 4 snuffs from Mr. Snuff but didn't get into them. They sat around for a few years, and I kept looking at them. I may have thrown them away/gave them away, or they may be still sitting in my pipe stuff, somewhere. . .

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've been doing that off and on for many years, hawky454. I first tried it back in the early 2000's when I got an old tin of Levi Garret off of eBay. I first load the pipe and then lightly cover the top of the tobacco with the snuff and then tap the sides of the bowl for a few seconds to get the snuff down into the tobacco and then light up. One can get quite a buzz at first!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've been doing that off and on for many years, hawky454. I first tried it back in the early 2000's when I got an old tin of Levi Garret off of eBay. I first load the pipe and then lightly cover the top of the tobacco with the snuff and then tap the sides of the bowl for a few seconds to get the snuff down into the tobacco and then light up. One can get quite a buzz at first!
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I knew there had to be some major players around here that had experience with doing this.
Great Big Hmmmm.... I have a lot of high octane snuff I haven't tried yet. :mrgreen: Oh boy, this is gonna be fun.

I'd love to hear some of the combo's you come up with.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've done it on a number of occasions and my favorite is Thor's Hammer on top of FVF. Whammy!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Very interesting idea!

Akin to cannabis smokers sprinkling some kief atop a freshly packed bowl of flowers.
The only snuff I have at the moment is some Dholakia chocolate..but it could add a certain essence to a blend.
I tend to only use snuff in the winter and am probably about due to pick some up. I'll keep this application in mind methinks.

Mrs Cosmic threw my snuffs away. Like Didi, I bought some Christmas Tree flavored and Nag Champa to add to my pipe as an octane boost, but I tried snorting it. But, everytime I snorted it, I would immediately sneeze repeatedly. And, Mrs Cosmic got tired of cleaning Rorschach shaped snuff-snot off of all the walls. I can only imagine that back when snuff was fashionable that the walls all looked like camouflage patterns.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Wow this is new to me. I won't do it with a menthol one though.. I think the toast flavored ones would work well. I'm going to give this a shot, thanks..

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hawky, get a pouch of Five Brothers and a bag of Poschl Red Bull Strong. Load up your pipe 3/4 full with the Five Brothers and then top it off with the Red Bull. Tap the sides of the bowl for about 15 seconds and then light 'er up.
Oh, and by the way, it's been nice having you here. :D
Pipestud

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Pipestud That sounds like helluva recipe you've concocted there! I'm writing it down on my short list of supplies. 5 Bros is a perfect candidate for such experiments, sounds like a winner!
Oh, and by the way, it's been nice having you here. :D
Pipestud
Man, you have no idea of how much that warmed my heart coming from you! Thank you, it's good to be active again. It's really hard to find the time with a 9 month baby girl at home, she really takes up most all of my time but I try to make a little time for this hobby, for which I am so passionate.
Cheers!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wow this is new to me. I won't do it with a menthol one though.. I think the toast flavored ones would work well. I'm going to give this a shot, thanks..
I'd love to hear how it goes for ya! Please share your experience with us when ya can.
Mrs Cosmic threw my snuffs away. Like Didi, I bought some Christmas Tree flavored and Nag Champa to add to my pipe as an octane boost, but I tried snorting it. But, everytime I snorted it, I would immediately sneeze repeatedly. And, Mrs Cosmic got tired of cleaning Rorschach shaped snuff-snot off of all the walls. I can only imagine that back when snuff was fashionable that the walls all looked like camouflage patterns.
Haha! You can probably still find pubs in Britain petrified with snuff-snot.
I enjoy snuffing but too much in a day will lead me to being stopped up and therefor ruining my very important piping sessions, I can't be compromising my precious pipe time. I still snuff from time to time but since finding out this little trick I've been using snuff a lot more.
Akin to cannabis smokers sprinkling some kief atop a freshly packed bowl of flowers.

Interesting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like spice in the stew. Of course, you can get many similar effects just mixing condiment leaf or blends with other blends, but I think new flavors enliven the whole experience if you do it thoughtfully -- not just red pepper flakes on your chocolate ice cream ... or maybe that sounds good?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've done it on a number of occasions and my favorite is Thor's Hammer on top of FVF. Whammy!
Very cool man, that sounds like a winner! I've not heard of Thor's Hammer, sounds smashing! Haha! I'll look into that! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for posting about this. I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Absolutely, my man. I'd love to hear how it plays out for you when ya get around to trying it.
I'm about to try some SG Kendal Bouquet on some well rubbed out Perfect Plug to give it a floral vibe. My goal is to get a concoction close to something like Velvan Plug. Here goes ...

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I smoked some dried Copenhagen once. Felt like the movie young guns peyote scene. I saw the size of that chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.