PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Kevin: This is a very nice site and I'm glad for the serendipity that allowed me to join the forum early on. BTW, I love Simenon's Maigret novels (sadly not as popular today as they once were) and enjoyed S's description of his pipe-smoking creation in one of the Pipe quotes of the day. This is the first time I read it. I particularly like the Colonial/Canadian style pipe on the logo. I've got some similar shapes: two Stanwell Colonials and a Savinelli Porto Cervo (sp?)smooth. They're among my very favorite puffers.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks Ed!
Years from now after there are like a million users posting on here we will have to remember that you and I were the first ones to ever post.
The pipe in the logo is my own. It is the first pipe I ever bought in the Spring of 1998.
It is an Aldo Velani. I do not remember the name or style. I wasn't smart enough as a newbie pipe smoker back then to make note of it or save the box.
It just recently developed a hairline crack in the shank. That made me a little sad, but I felt better after I found that it still smokes real nice.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Amen. What we do in life echoes in eternity. Those long shanks sometimes crack just where the shank meets the bit, from the repeated stress of taking it apart for cleaning - it happens even after they've cooled down. I like that style but it's comparatively more fragile than the ones I used to smoke exclusively back in the day: the bent pot. Funny, when I was young and erect I smoked a bent pot. Now that I'm a bent pot myself, I smoke more of the thin and straight models. Freud go figure. But I still smoke my old bents: a Savory's Argyll Duxford, a GBD Fifth Avenue and a Sasieni Four Dot Ruff Root sandblast. All these three were bought new in the 1970s. I also have a Nimrod lighter (the large and more capacious model) from that era.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin, you can send your pipe to get repaired. A hairline crack in the shank is relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. They will put a small amount of glue on the crack and then install a band around it to hold it together. They have nickle, silver, and gold bands available and of course the price depends on what type you choose.
This is a great fix and will last many years, if not forever. I have had to get one of my pipes repaired for that exact reason and it great. You wouldn't even now that there was any damage to the pipe or that the band wasn't part of the original pipe.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The pipe in the logo is my own. It is the first pipe I ever bought in the Spring of 1998.
It is an Aldo Velani. I do not remember the name or style. I wasn't smart enough as a newbie pipe smoker back then to make note of it or save the box.
It just recently developed a hairline crack in the shank. That made me a little sad, but I felt better after I found that it still smokes real nice.
So Kevin, have you gotten that hairline crack in the shank taken care of?

Status
Not open for further replies.