PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC

I ordered a couple of tins of Kramer’s Blend for Cary Grant from Smokingpipes.com after they announced it. I’d never heard of Kramer’s, and was pleasantly surprised to find such an iconic business alive and well, in California of all places. Allen Kramer personally blended his tobaccos to suit his clients, including the aforementioned Blend for Cary Grant. This appealed to me because it was a blend created for Grant personally, and not a large tobacco company blend that had slapped his name on the label.
Kramer’s Blend for Cary Grant is a blend of black Cavendish, Latakia, Orientals, and Virginia with, as Kramer’s says, a bit of Irish aromatic layered in.
Upon opening a fresh tin I immediately smell hints of both sweetness and Latakia, as well as the Orientals. The tobacco is ready to smoke right out of the tin and requires no further drying time. It’s neither too moist nor too dry and takes to the match easily.
I enjoy English and Latakia blends immensely, but the added touch of sweetness was something I found to be intriguing. This turns out to be a lighter English aromatic blend, but it’s nothing like the aromatics I’ve experienced. There’s no over-sweetness and the smoke is cool and dry on the palate. I found there to be no tongue bite and the tobacco did well at a fast pace as well as a slow puff. However, puffing slowly and coolly will bring out more of the flavors and nuances found in this blend.
I would say the blend is a bit more Oriental forward, but with a full roundness that is pleasing to my entire palate. The sweetness is there just on the tip of the tongue and the Latakia plays the bass note, creating a nice, round fullness to the blend. There is enjoyment in every puff, with different flavors popping up and surprising you here and there in a delightful way. I smoked this fresh from the tin; some time may lead to flavors melding more together although Kramer’s claims to use tobaccos that are already aged. It does, indeed, seem that some healthy aging has already taken place.
The tin note tended to be one that reminded me somewhat of Golden Days of Yore, although the two taste nothing alike, and perhaps that of GL Pease Ashbury. The flavors tend to lean somewhat toward a tin of Ashbury that has been aged in a jar for a good six months or so, but with a roundness of a bit more Latakia and the sweeter notes added. As an English aromatic, this could be seen as a crossover blend much like Frog Morton Across the Pond. ATP was my first English blend and brings back a lot of fond memories for me. Kramer’s has Cyprian Latakia, however, whereas the Frog has Syrian, so there is a noticeable difference there.
I have read that the room note on this blend is quite appreciable, and found that to be true as I smoked my first bowl outside of the local music store in our downtown one evening. A patron exited the building stopping to say my pipe smelled great and reminded her of her late father. She thanked me for the memories.
As stated, I enjoy heavier Latakia blends immensely. I will be trying Kramer’s Father Dempsey when I can get my hands on some. I also enjoy VaPers to a great degree, especially nearer to springtime. But I find Kramer’s Blend for Cary Grant to be a lovely blend that I would like to keep in my permanent rotation. It’s great for anytime of the day, or as an all day smoke if one prefers. I especially see this as great blend to put in my cob and sip on as I go fishing this season.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Great review and thanks for the heads up. I was watching a Cary Grant movie this morning called "Destination Tokyo" and there's a scene where he is smoking in his Captain's quarters and while opening the submarine's safe.
I like the Frog series and I'm definitely ordering some of this.
Btw, Cary Grant is one of my favorite actors.
Thanks for enabling me.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I've smoked a few bowls of this and even though I am latakia adverse I enjoy it. Father Dempsey will probably be right up your alley, Lee. It is definitely a stronger blend.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I'm also a fan of Cary Grant, watched Destination Tokyo the other day as well as Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House :clap: I ordered a couple of tins once It came out and waiting to try it once it arrives.
blandings2.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Davet, Mr. Blanding is such a favorite of mine....it's Downloaded on 4 different platforms in case I lose power or zombies attack. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well done! As I have mentioned before, the store is a must visit when in LA. Also the original Tinder Box. And "California, of all places!" Don't forget it's the home of Greg Pease and Marty Pulvers, and where Dan Johnson and Simon want to live.....

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
"But I didn't do it!" Is a common mimic response I give from North by Northwest all the time. Can't wait to try this blend - great write up!

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
"Arsenic and Old Lace" is a favourite from way back. I actually played Mortimer Brewster, though not as comedically deft as Grant, in a high school play. This blend has been on my radar for a week now and I'm going to have to pull the trigger.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Only Angels Have Wings locks up my channel surfing every time.
When my daughter was young we watched Father Goose many times.
Wife has tickets for An Affair to Remember on the big screen next week.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for the review. Just received my tins today and can't wait to try them. Got a tin of Cary Grant and Danny Kaye.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I'm smoking Kramer's Danny Kaye blend at the moment. I bought a pound of it, because he and I share the same name. I may be biased, but I love this blend! A tad on the sweet side, but no bite, easy to pack, and totally enjoyable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cary Grant always seemed to be enjoying himself on the screen, unlike many other actors who show evidence of torments with their careers. He wore his fame with ease. This is a good review of Kramer's special blend for him. I've doubled back somewhat on aromatics when they are tobacco forward, and on some milder tobaccos as well. I still like the big robust flavor profiles, but in rotation with some others style blends. This one sounds quite good, and the review is excellent. I really appreciate stepping up with the constituent tobaccos at the beginning of the review, very professional.
In "North by Northwest" Grant makes being chased by a maniac in a crop dusting biplane look like good sport, crazy as that sounds. Hitchcock was a master director and obviously respected grant, though respect wasn't a trait that Alfred wore on his sleeve.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Just cracked a tin of this now. I'm enjoying it, and your review was spot on. This may not be a regular in my rotation but will definitely be one that I'll reorder and occasionally enjoy.
mso489, I've been watching more and more Hitchcock lately, The Man Who Knew Too Much is set to be recorded tomorrow evening. James Stewart, Doris Day, it's sounds good to me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I received my tins yesterday and smoked five bowls so far......your review is spot on. I'm not a big fan of this type but the latakia and sweetness are perfect. I'm glad I ordered a bunch, just off your review. Thank you.

Jan 8, 2013
Somehow I missed this. Lee, that was a wonderful review. I was already planning on trying this and the other blends soon, but your review helped solidify that. I'll be adding some to my next order for sure.

incident

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
It's a great shop to visit. Not large by any means, and a fairly limited inventory, but fun all the same. It's where I purchased my first pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.