PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Today was the last day of opening the historic Kramer Shop in Beverly Hills. So late this morning I went there, the shop was nearly entirely empty with Marsha and Jim packing the last items and signing the last few papers. They were clearly saddened and emotional, I can understand all the decades of memories going over in their minds during those moments. I was probably their last client of their 68 years activity and I purchased a couple of boxes of Swan Vesta matches. I felt that moments very sad for them so for their respect I did not talked too much, I asked if they were retiring and from the answer I got it was more like a forced retirement, they would not have retired by themselves now. While I was leaving Marsha gave me the letter explaining the reasons why they closed the business (the same which circulated in this forum) but was the official one with their official seal and I will keep it as a memory of their shop.

I feel sad and sorry for the closure of their business and I sense that while the raise of the rent was the main reason they would probably have dealt with it if not for the nonsense stupid local and federal regulations they outlined in their letter. My final comment is that this should make us upset with the government and institutions in general, their role should be to regulate big tickets individuals cannot do by themselves, not arbitrarily putting people out of legal business based on the dominant ideology of the government.

I hope Marsha and Jim will find happiness in the next stage of their journey in this world. God bless them.

Jan 8, 2013
It's certainly sad. I love a couple of their blends, and it's a shame I'll never have a chance to visit their shop someday if I ever visit California.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I don't interpret the comments about the over reaching despotic behavior of local and federal governments being political. No bashing of a particular political party or a party member. Just an obvious dissatisfaction of what is mostly bureaucrats overstepping their numerated and finite powers.
The government was never intended, and should not now be choosing winners and losers in the business world. The simple fact that this business has fallen out of favor with the current group think de jur of the politically correct crowd, has absolutely nothing to do with anything, from a purely legal / constitutional standpoint.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
When I ordered some Esoterica tobacco. Phoning in the order I was immediately greeted by Marsha. Friendly and courteous she was. Huge loss.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
+1 Alex & Bonanza...well said. And congrats Alex on the honor of likely being their final customer.
It is sad, but they were fortunate to have been operating during all those past years when things were easier and simpler for the business they were in.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
It is always sad when a long time business that has been a staple of an industry closes down. I had always hoped to get a chance to visit this iconic store if I ever was able to get to SoCal. For those who were customers of this shop, may you ever remember this shop as you smoke the pipe(s) you purchased there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a proponent of retirement. People often delay it and avoid it until the time they have left is not best quality. However, getting shouldered out of your chosen work by others is a bad feeling. I hope they can engage other activities they care about and obliterate this disappointment. They deserve that.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I always wanted to try some of there blends,thankfully Smoking pipes has them,still a sad day for such a historical shop.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is a real shame a shop with that kind of history was forced to close its doors. It should never happen but it does all too frequently.
I recently sold my last business due to the ridiculous tax structure the city of Warwick Rhode Island imposes on small businesses. 24 years I had owned it but the writing was on the wall that I needed to get out while the getting was still decent. I was no where close to 68 years but it still stung a bit.
Local politicians always spout how they are there for the small business guy, but the reality is completely the opposite. It also does not matter which side of the isle you are talking about, they both suck dick when it comes to small businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.