PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Doing household tasks, I heard some of an interview with Michael Douglas, who if I got the story correctly, was receiving a life achievement award at The Golden Globes, and in the course of the interview he said his dad, Kirk Douglas, is now 102 years old. To be honest, I didn't know Kirk Douglas was still alive, though I knew he was very long-lived. What can I say but wow. Success and financial security have conferred their blessings.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I heard the same interview on NPR today. I was surprised he was 102. Michael Douglas' new show on Netflix, The Kominsky Method, is pretty good. Looking forward to season two.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
An honest to God former acrobat who studiously took care of himself obviously did him no damage. So, money, success, probably great genes and, being health conscious no doubt contributed to his long life.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's great if you're still in your right mind, pain free, and able to take care of yourself. Otherwise, it's a dubious achievement. I hope he's still enjoying life. He entertained millions for a long time and deserves the best.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kcg', thank you for the Olivia DeHaviland tip. My sister visited her in Paris to get licensing on a collector plate illustration of Mellany (sp?) in "Gone With The Wind," the ownership she had cleverly arranged in her contract. After long years, my sister finally got the sign-off, and they exchanged cards and notes for years after.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Wow, 102 ! I thought he was still alive but didn't realize how old he is. I haven't watched 'Spartacus' in a very long time. I'll have to do so next time I'm in the mood for a movie.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I thought it was Burt Lancaster who was the acrobat, but Kirk Douglas is a great man in his own right. Michael didn't turn out too shabby, either, given the amount of Hollywood offspring that go horribly awry.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Warren I only remember because of The Flame and the Arrow. Lancaster's friend and fellow acrobat Nick Cravat had to be mute when he played Piccolo because he couldn't mask his thick Brooklyn accent.
The things that stick with ya, right?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
And perhaps his most enigmatic appearance...as Satan in Don Henley's music video for The Garden of Allah. One of the few music videos I've really liked, which sadly cannot be found on youtube (and, IMO, Henley's best song).

Status
Not open for further replies.