PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I love this blend.
I have one open tin that I have been nursing and have another five put away, but I haven't seen the stuff for sale in ages, and I am worried that my five cellared tins will have to last me until I slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of God.
Has anyone heard whether this blend has actually been formally discontinued?
Is there any chance we will ever see it again?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Peck, the only Germain's made Butera blend I've seen offered in the primary market for at least the last two years has been Pelican... I would think Butera, really Arango, would be the best source to contact about the fate of Kingfisher...if they even know!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I never even had a chance to try it, durn it!
Kingfisher, Kingfisher, where do you roam

Kingfisher, Kingfisher, far far from home...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Many of us have tried contacting Germain to no avail. They just don't respond so I take that to mean we will not see Kingfisher from them again. I agree that it's a wonderful blend. It's not the first nor will it be the last great blend to disappear.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Truthfully, if it is no more, then I wish I never had a chance to try it either.
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
To which I cry BS! This is why I'm afraid to open my few tins of Margate and 1820.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Germain does not own the rights to the Kingfisher recipe. All they did was produce it for Butera. Since Stokkebye purchased the rights to produce both Kingfisher and Pelican, perhaps they are the ones who could explain why Kingfisher is not in production. Advancing age prevents remembering who told me this, but I do recall that a blender told me at a pipe show a couple of years ago that Kingfisher was a very difficult tobacco to make and that is why production ceased.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I was lucky enough to get 2 tins in trade from a fellow. At first I thought it was a little heavy on the burley for me. After a couple months I thought it was great. Sadly, I'm holding on to my last tin as I expect it may be the last one I ever have.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
An observational thought based on not ever trying Kingfisher or Pelican, but on what @pipestud said.
We are seeing a small frenzy of hoarding based on two things. Syrian Latakia is dwindling and the stockpiles will eventually be gone. We know that. Esoterica had a lull and certain blends weren't readily available. So they are tough to get a hold of. Pelican and Kingfisher (P&B) have no Syrian Latakia in them. They are produced in the olde ways (from what I have read), which are difficult and take time, but are not impossible. I think if Chevy bought Ford the mustang would go to the wayside. It's just company favoritism. Your brand and name mean more than another.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Last time I was able to buy some was about 5 years ago, unless you count the $50 tin I saw at the Chicago show this year. My stash is long gone.
I too, miss this blend.

Dec 24, 2012
Last time I was able to buy some was about 5 years ago, unless you count the $50 tin I saw at the Chicago show this year. My stash is long gone.
Well, if anybody knows where I can get some tins for $50, just let me know. I would buy them all day long - that's how much I like this blend.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think if Chevy bought Ford the mustang would go to the wayside. It's just company favoritism. Your brand and name mean more than another.
This is a point that most miss, I think. Brand is how customers find you and why they do. They're like corporate emblems combined with a favorite park. People go to them for a certain experience and rely on them.
Regarding Kingfisher, we should look at brand cycles. Old brands -- which includes not just company, but blend itself -- get recycled when imitators are made and attract an audience. If you send Russ some cigars or whiskey, maybe you can convince him to make a "match" which might then convince the brand owner that it's worth resurrecting a classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.