PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Wow. Not one fan of Larry Coryell here. I guess no one is listening to him tonight. He arguably lead the way for one of the greatest movements in music in the late 60's, setting the pattern for all who followed from John McLaughlin to Jeff Beck.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very sad about this. I've bee a guitar player for 53 years and admired Larry's contributions to the musical lexicon. I saw him in a small jazz club in Philly some years ago and he was very inspiring.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@toobfreak - Sorry. Never heard of him until your post. A little before my time. Listening to Gypsy Queen from Barefoot Boy right now.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I'm a fan... I have many of his albums... my fav is Barefoot Boy... released on Flying Dutchman Records...
Sad news... I imagine many rock and metal fans don't know his genius on the guitar...

Call to the Higher Consciousness...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96uK_dhGWE

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
papipeguy and mayfair, yeah, he was never a big name commercial artist with name recognition, plays on the radio or filling big stadiums. He was a musician's musician. He was all about his music rather than commercial success. For a while he had a band called The Eleventh House.
I have all his early albums and IMO his best work was the first side of his second album simply named: Coryell. Very intriguing cover-work with his whole family on it wearing no clothes. Amazing guitar work. He was the godfather of fusion before the word had even been invented. If you can find a way to hear that music online or somewhere, I think you will be aptly rewarded.
Coryell
If you click on the picture of the album, it gives you an idea of the artwork. Highly recommended album.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Here, I found the album on Youtube.
Coryell Second Album
Of course, it is just YouTube on your computer speakers. Not the same as listening to the LP live at 110 dB on a $200,000 sound system.
You go, Larry.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I'm with you, toob. Larry was a terrific guitarist and important influence. May his memory be eternal.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had not heard of him until your post. Sadly, even as a fan of that type of music, I somehow missed out on him. I watched some videos and must say he was quite an accomplished musician. I appreciate you introducing his work to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.