PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015

Just opened a 3 year old( 3 1/2) tin of Penzance????? Yea, I’m a little late to the party, and this is another Penzance thread. Big deal, I know. I ran across this write up on the history of Penzance and thought, “Damn” I expected this stuff to have been collected from a Unicorn Stall. The story is more interesting than the tobacco. It’s good tobacco, but the story (above) might shine light on why GLPease English/Balkans are far superior. ?. (Personal Opinion posted here.)

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
I am curious as to why you see the story as shedding light as to your view that Pease's are superior. What about the story do you see as supporting your opinion?

Plus, do you have specific Pease blends in mind?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I am curious as to why you see the story as shedding light as to your view that Pease's are superior. What about the story do you see as supporting your opinion?

Plus, do you have specific Pease blends in mind?
Opinions are subjective, but pretty much every English/Balkan I’ve had from Pease is better than Penzance. Doesn’t mean they are replacements for Penzance. I think it’s interesting that Pease may have been involved in the testing of Penzance before Germain started production.

plus it’s about Penzance? Hype and more Hype.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The article lost me here.

Yesterday I smoked Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance! The tobacco that you enjoy extra long no matter what you eat and how well you brush your teeth.

RIIIIIIIIGHT. New guys paying hundreds just to try it are in for such a let down.
GLPease English/Balkans are far superior. ?
I'm finding that most are.

Reactions: perdurabo

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
"I am curious as to why you see the story as shedding light as to your view that Pease's are superior."

His palate agrees with the story. Your palate may give a different result.
The question is more of how he sees the connection, not about his particular palate. Meaning, I am curious as to what in particular in the article validated his experience, which is based upon his palate.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The question is more of how he sees the connection, not about his particular palate. Meaning, I am curious as to what in particular in the article validated his experience, which is based upon his palate.
It’s the whole first paragraph. I never really fall for the hype of tobacco blends. I smoke what I like. I acquired some Penzance, mainly because my wife loves Pirates of Penzance. Plus it was available at market price and she has a fancy for English blends. Win win. I never investigated anything about it. I cellared it and laughed along with everyone about the unicorn status. It’s funny. Anyway, I expected this stuff to have been sent to earth by the Gods. Not invented in California and made in England. (That is the case right?) On top of that, the Dark Lord was on the Panel. Pease’s blends are refined and complex. Penzance is good, but muddy, in comparison. It’s Complex, but no more than Odyssey or Blackpoint. Pease being on the panel for the road test, adds to the mystique. That’s all. Nothing deep or cerebral.

Reactions: brendhain

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
I find Penzance to need 5-6 years before it is "all it is supposed to be". Balkan Sobranie Original-White Tins was the daily smoke that I was accustomed to until they stopped producing it. The new stuff does not match the original, enough. Well-aged Penzance brings me into the realm.

I haven't smoked Pease blends in a ridiculous number of years. So, I am curious as to your experiences because you have gotten me interested in trying some Pease out, again. I am actually smoking a lot of Virginia Flakes lately because I am not feeling so satisfied with my Lat blends.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I find Penzance to need 5-6 years before it is "all it is supposed to be". Balkan Sobranie Original-White Tins was the daily smoke that I was accustomed to until they stopped producing it. The new stuff does not match the original, enough. Well-aged Penzance brings me into the realm.

I haven't smoked Pease blends in a ridiculous number of years. So, I am curious as to your experiences because you have gotten me interested in trying some Pease out, again. I am actually smoking a lot of Virginia Flakes lately because I am not feeling so satisfied with my Lat blends.
I don’t smoke English blends except when the weather gets cool. And even then I’m smoking more Vapers and Burley blends. I do love them(English/Balkans) though. I’m smoking a 5 year old Star of the East Flake, as I type. I cracked it open to see how it compares to Penzance. It’s not a replacement for Penzance but I like it better. Don’t get me wrong, Penzance is good. My wife loves it. I’ll pick some up for her, but I’m not going to sell my soul for it. I’m going to crack a tin of Pease Quiet Nights soon. To see, yes once again, how it compares to the Penzance. I don’t know,? Gaslight May be my favorite Pease English so far. I haven’t had that one in a few years.

Reactions: brendhain

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
There is a good thread, burried someone on this forum, about the full origin story, with Penzance. The brief of it is, and please help or forgive any errors, that it is based upon a Germain interpretation of the Original Sobranie White then the US permitted additives and preservatives are added then pressed Held for 14-days and sliced into a krumble-kake. Germain says that its 1820 Flake is the exact same blend only it has only the UK permitted additives (in brief, only natural ingredients). The chemicals make a significant difference as the 1820Flake, in my opinion, is not as 'creamy' as Penzance, as well as, lighter in color. It doesn't have the dark "wet" look that Penzance has.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
There is a good thread, burried someone on this forum, about the full origin story, with Penzance. The brief of it is, and please help or forgive any errors, that it is based upon a Germain interpretation of the Original Sobranie White then the US permitted additives and preservatives are added then pressed Held for 14-days and sliced into a krumble-kake. Germain says that its 1820 Flake is the exact same blend only it has only the UK permitted additives (in brief, only natural ingredients). The chemicals make a significant difference as the 1820Flake, in my opinion, is not as 'creamy' as Penzance, as well as, lighter in color. It doesn't have the dark "wet" look that Penzance has.
I posted the article so others could read it and add to it. Thanks for the additional content.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
With all of your praise, I will have to look back to the Pease blends and give them a second try. The blends that I miss the most are Elephant and Castle's Stout and the original UK produced Ashton Celebration Sovereign. The McClelland version of the latter is tasty but nothing like the original. They are producing it in Germany but have not tried that one.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
That wasn't the article that I was meaning. If I find the other one then I'll put up the link here.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Nice thread. I acquired some penzance from a forum member last year. I’ve tried a bowl and thought it was okay. Bowl two is drying out right now.
As for pease blends, gaslight is amazing. Charring cross is great also. I have some quiet nights and Chelsea morning waiting for me in jars

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Opinions are subjective, but pretty much every English/Balkan I’ve had from Pease is better than Penzance. Doesn’t mean they are replacements for Penzance. I think it’s interesting that Pease may have been involved in the testing of Penzance before Germain started production.

plus it’s about Penzance? Hype and more Hype.
I asked Greg about this a couple of years ago. He was indeed a taster on the Esoterica series of blends. According to Greg, Richman approached Germain's about producing a group of blends from their catalog of private label blends. Penzance was one of two blends that they sampled, the other being what he suspected was sold by SH as Krumble Kake.

The first two thirds of the bowl for both Penzance as well as Margate is very good, but there are a lot of other Balkan blends which are equally good.
However the incense offers a very alluring sweetness at the bottom of the bowl - more in a fresh batch of Penzance to a lesser extent in a fresh batch of Margate which I find very satisfying. I did not find that in an aged tin of Penzance.

Is there a blend with a similar kind of finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.