PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Hello,
I got in the habit of buying a tin of tobacco every time I go to my local shop for a smoke (about once every two weeks). I have been placing them in storage bins and kind of accumulating them to try them out in the future. I was about to place an order for more tobacco and realized that some of the blends in my cart were already in my storage bins. How do you keep track of your tobacco? Do you have a spreadsheet? Do you have it written down in an old leather bound notebook? Do you simply have it memorized?
I will be creating a spreadsheet that can be accessed on my phone for future purchases but I am curious as to the madness to your method.
I will probably steal any good ideas that come from this!
Stay lit!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I just buy and smoke. Repeat. Life's too short to keep track of which tobaccos I have. Unless I feel like I'm low on something. Then I buy, smoke & repeat.
Meh, made sense when I started and it's too late to change now.
Having said that, I've got a fairly large cellar, so it's not like there aren't a lot of things in there that haven't surfaced recently. It doesn't cause me any heartburn though. I'll get to it. Or die trying. Either way.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here you go. Happy reading.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anyone-use-tobacco-cellar-com
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/do-you-have-cellar-organization-tips

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Having said that, I've got a fairly large cellar, so it's not like there aren't a lot of things in there that haven't surfaced recently. It doesn't cause me any heartburn though. I'll get to it. Or die trying. Either way.
Sums it up for me. What the hell, I love a surprise...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I use a spreadsheet which looks like this:
1bpqCZU.jpg

And just for fun I made something like this one:
p4VyCVF.jpg

I have also uploaded the file (updating regularly) to my Dropbox account which I share with my wife. In case something happens to me she will know what costs what.

Reactions: yanoJL

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Wait, your wife knows what your tobacco costs?? :crazy:
She doesn't even check Tim. If I start hiding, then she will start checking :wink: Besides, I know what her pastry tools and ingredients cost. Luckily, I can eat whatever she cooks, fortunately unfortunately , she doesn't smoke whatever I buy :lol:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
She keeps buying me pipes too, though I've told her I'm finished with collecting.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Nice looking spreadsheet. I like how you add the cost. I use an app called Arborea. Very good app.

I used to use an abacus, but every time I drop the damned thing, it erases my tobacco cellar. So, using an Etch-a-Sketch is out of the question. So, I have recently started writing my inventory on my hands. They are always handy, and I only have to retake inventory after nights of carnal frivolity. :puffy:

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I use pipetool.com

It has a built in database of tobacco blends that you can use when you add to your cellar, a very good database.

It was a bit of work when I first input my cellar, but now it’s pretty easy to maintain.

Plus you can export your cellar to your own computer. I do this as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.