PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I have been meaning to put up this post for some time now, so better late than never. Shortly after I began smoking pipes I mentioned to a fellow co-worker, Mike E., that I had started to enjoy smoking pipes. He said "My dad used to smoke pipes! I have all of his old pipes. I'll bring them here for you." Ok...cool! So I left him thinking that he would bring by a couple of his dad's pipes for me to look at and maybe I might have the opportunity to buy them off of him.
A couple of days went buy when Mike comes up to me and says "I've got somthing for you." So I follow him back to his workstation where he pulls out a large Tupper Storage Bin that had about a 1/4" layer of dust on top of it and opens it. My jaw dropped as I looked inside at the large collection of pipes and accessories. The smell that came out of the bin was pretty foul but I ignored it as I began to rumage through all the cool stuff before me.
I asked Mike "Would you be willing to sell me a couple of these pipes?" He answered "No. I'm not interested in selling them, but I'll give them all to you if you want them." 8O Needless to say Mike has a favor he can call in at anytime.
Mike says that his dad smoked primarily Borkum Riff. Well let me tell you whatever it was it ghosted everything inside of that bin including two of the pipes which were unsmoked(Darby and Mastercraft). All the pipes were seriously caked, some so bad that the tobacco chamber was completely closed off.
Of all the pipes that Mike gave me I have restored 13 of them. Here is the entire lot he gave me. Thanks Mike!
Kaywoodie SuperGrain-

1.jpg

Kaywoodie Matched Grain-

2.jpg

Top to Bottom:

Kaywoodie Relief Grain, Centennial, Mandarin-

3.jpg

Kaywoodie Carburator Smooth,Rusticated; All Briar; White Briar; Meerschaum w/broken stem :crying:

4.jpg

Kaywoodie Gourd Calabash and a pipe rest-

5.jpg

Peterson System 313-

6.jpg

Loewe Birmingham and Inverness-

7.jpg

Darby Made in Italy, Albertson Flanders Pride Made in Belgium

The one on the bottom was hard to make out it is stamped: PIPE BY LRR LIMITED EDITION, AN AUTHENTIC IMPORTED BRIAR

The LRR is in script and it also has 3 stars on the stem which is not visible in the photo.-

8.jpg

2 Bob Reid Jr. C-E-S Made in England-

9.jpg

Falcon with 3 bowls-

10.jpg

Mastercraft 3/4oz. Litewate Made in Italy-

11.jpg

Clay and I think a Meerschaum both made in England-

12.jpg

And finally 2 pipe racks-

13.jpg

14.jpg

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
What a score. The maybe Meerschaum is a pretty cool horn. If you can get the stem clean and shiny that would get some attention. Good for you.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
You have some nice pipes there. It is time to hit youtube to see how to clean them up. You have a good friend.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The one on the bottom was hard to make out it is stamped: PIPE BY LRR LIMITED EDITION, AN AUTHENTIC IMPORTED BRIAR

The LRR is in script and it also has 3 stars on the stem which is not visible in the photo.-
Take a closer look at at pipe. I think you will find that it says "Pipe By LEE"
Very nice group of pipes. Some of them are worth a few bucks,the Kaywoodie Mandarin for one,from what I've read.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
wow! thats very cool of your buddy. you have an excellent collection now. i guess you really do owe your buddy a favour haha.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Would you be willing to sell the pipe in the first picture, third down?
Not at this time. I am planning on eventually restoring all of the pipes, maybe then I'll decide which ones I may let go.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful pipes. Those old Kaywoodies are excellent smokers too. I hope the stingers are intact. That's a good friend!

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Holy crap! If I had a friend give me a haul like that I would help them hide a body.

Status
Not open for further replies.