PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I thought I'd share a few pics of a Kaywoodie Thorn I just finished up. It wasn't abused by its previous owner: no dents, teeth marks or much chatter. She turned out super IMHO.
photo1-10.jpg

photo2-10.jpg

photo3-6.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
He's been experimenting with some different tools and woods of late. After Christmas I think we will be seeing more work from him, as his hours will be a little less hectic at work I think.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, guys for the comments.
Instymp, I wet sanded from 400/600/800/1000/2000/3000. Then I used Novus plastic polish #2, then #1, followed by white rouge and carnuba wax. For some of them I've used Formby's paste wax, it's applied by hand and buffed with a cotton wheel on the drill. Sometimes I skip the white rouge, depends on the stem. The 4" wheels and arbor for the hand drill I got at Home Depot and am very happy with them.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
BTW, the Formby's is great on rusticated pipes. Apply, buff off with soft cotton and then a nylon bristle "suede" brush for the final shine & to get into the rusticated areas.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
It is with mixed feelings I announce this: the Thorn will be on its way to its new owner tomorrow morning, in Japan no less! Selling and shipping to Japan will be a first for me. In fact, I think this is the first time I shipped/sold to Asia at all, now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.