PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshmokes

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
Hey y'all!

I just bought myself a Kaywoodie Standard from an antique shop the other day. I didn't think about pulling the stem off to look inside, and found that there is a metal stinger & threads in there. Neat little system, but I'm concerned about the hot smoke passing over what I think is aluminum, releasing neurotoxins associated with heated aluminum.
Do y'all know what the metal material is for certain?
Thanks so much in advance for your insights!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
See if a magnet attracts it. But, in any event, I think the temps are way too low for aluminum atoms to depart from the surface(s) and enter your bloodstream. BTW, realize that you're exposing yourself to nicotine and other toxins in the smoke -- probably riskier than a stray aluminum atom. :wink:

Reactions: Peter - CCB

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Welcome.
I don't know what they are made of and dislike stingers for the reason that I find them a pain in the arse but honestly fella, there are far more worthy things deserving of your worry.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It's aluminum, but unless you turn yourself into a retort with asbestos lined tongue you won't be able to heat the aluminum up enough to matter.
Aluminum melts around 1,100 F°. So it probably off-gases around 950°.
You're safe unless you are a human retort.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
^^ What they said.
Kaywoodie stingers are usually aluminum, at least, the old ones were. Post a pic and we can say for sure. :)

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Actually aluminum releases toxins that may contribute to Alzheimers at levels used to cook food. However I don't think that a pipe stinger is your biggest worry if you should choose to worry over such things. If you want to cut out aluminum toxins start with antacids, buffered aspirin, baked goods (all of it from bread to pancakes), antiperspirants, diarrhea medicine, pickles, beer, cheese, food made from all purpose flour (pasta), and nearly all cooked restaurant food. Good luck to you with that, sir. Personally I will live on the edge and keep my biscuits, beer, pasta, soda, and all the other things that are bad for you but make life so much more enjoyable.

joshmokes

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
I do realize I'm exposing myself to plenty of toxins by smoking tobacco.

However, my intent is to cultivate and process my own this growing season, removing any of the artificial crap that may be added in many tobaccos.
sjmiller, all those things you listed, I don't actually consume or use except for the occasional beer, loaf of bread/flour tortilla, or restaurant food. I live a pretty healthy, clean life in that regard.
ashdigger, while the studies may be less than conclusive, I am usually a fan of airing on the side of caution. After watching my grandfather suffer from Alzheimer's for many, many years (he worked for ALCOA in the plant), I just can't risk going down that route. Plus, let's be real here... cast iron just tastes better after its been seasoned!
Thanks for the info y'all! I do greatly appreciate it. I also appreciate your want to help keep things in perspective for me. I can definitely be a bit of a radical at times, but only after some research (what I'm doing here). Looks like I'll be cleaning up the Kaywoodie and parting ways with her.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Kaywoodie pipes have used Aluminum for most there pipe stingers and many have already chimed in on the matter so all I can say is smoke that baby and enjoy :puffpipe:

joshmokes

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
IMG_1474.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Kaywoodie Standard from the 1950's. During the 50's kaywoodie had a government contract to use depleted uranium for the stinger material. They guarantee all smokes would be a blast and came with a detailed book on how to blow mushroom clouds.
I kid.
Good luck on smoking without any health concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.