PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I had heard about Crooner having Deer Tongue in it so I wanted to try it.

The first smoke was great. I am very much a fan of the flavor the Deer Tongue brought to the blend.

The burley gave a decent nic hit as well. I think I will keep this one around.

The Big n' Burley wasn't bad either.

I have become less of a fan of Latakia over the past couple of years, but the lat level was minimal.

The burley in this one was a bit more harsh than the Crooner. the nicotine level was higher as well.

Not sure if this one is something that I will buy again. I'll decide after a few more smokes.

What are some other good burley blends that C&D produces that I might try? I have Had Haunted Bookshop (not impressed) and OJK (loved it).

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Does Crooner still contain deer tongue? I vaguely remember reading they changed the formula and didn't use it anymore. Although I could just as easily misremember it. Whatever it was, there was some minor brouhaha over deer tongue a fee years back. Crooner was very nice and mild, though it's been years since I had it. Maybe time to try it again....
Recently had some Ehrlich DPE Mixture (20 years old or so) and the deer tongue was still prominent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never tried Crooner, but Big 'n Burley is excellent. I was just getting over tongue bite and mouth burn from some misguided holiday aromatics when I tired B'nB, and it gave me good rich flavor and nary a hint of bite. I'm a burley fan anyway, so it pleased me greatly, and I stuck with non-aros entirely for a long time.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm smoking some B&B that I've aged for 5 years. Some say that burley doesn't age, but believe me, after 5 yrs in a mason jar it does age rather well. B&B is not as harsh with 5 yrs age on it as it is when it's fresh. Crooner does good with 2 yrs age on it.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Smoking it as we speak and it still has DT in it. I smoke it daily.When the C&D blends go on sale pick up a pound. Burley ages as Cosmic stated.
I suggest Old Joe Krantz. Another of my all day smokes.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Crooner still has deer tongue in it. You can actually see the greenish brown chopped leaves in the blend; an excellent smoke!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Two Friends Redwood. I can't take most of those C&D burley blends anymore; too harsh on my wuss throat. But Redwood works for me. Had some just his AM in fact.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Burley Flake #1 has been on my list to buy for a while now. Years ago you couldn't find it anywhere. Now I see it's in stock again...

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Crooner was one of the very few blends that I just hated at first puff. I was really curious so I bought an ounce or two from a B&M. Tried it, hated it, gave it to a friend who said he always wanted to try it. He tried, hated it and threw it away, LOL.
Funny how certain things sound good, but ... weren't to one's taste.
Generally, the C&D blends are excellent though, and I will have to try the Big n' Burley sometime!

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
For a non burley blend try Bayou Morning and Poplar Camp. Both are solid vapers.

For your burley fix, run the gamut on all of their burley flakes

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I've had Bayou Morning and really enjoyed it. Also Haunted Bookshop which I liked.
A favorite B&M two states away sold me an aged tin of Night Train from 2012 and it was a thing of beauty. Haven't tried a fresh tin yet, but the aged one was magical. Some folks say burley doesn't age, and that may be true - I just don't know - but the blend as a whole was quite nice. Guess it doesn't matter, I'd certainly be pleased if a brand new tin tasted as nice as the aged one. Wouldn't hear me complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.