PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So I just rolled over to Senior Member, and it got me thinking. I have only really been active on the forums for the last month or so. It seemed quick, and got me thinking about why I chose this one to begin with. A little over a year ago I was in Afghanistan, on my 4th deployment. I had taken my ratty little basket briar and a few ounces of tobacco, still being a relatively new, and occasional, pipe smoker.
I really got into smoking out there. It was a great way to unwind, and before long, I had met a few other smokers, and gotten a few non-smokers into pipes. I was looking for a way to get supplies out there, having never ordered pipes or tobacco online before, and was googling for answers. I stumbled across this forum, and one of the members was at a near by camp asking the other guys here if they could help him get some pipes and tobacco out where he was. I joined up and asked if he would mind helping me and my little club out by pushing some stuff our way as well, which he was more than happy to do.
I don't know if that stuff ever made it out there, I got hurt and sent home, and in a few months I will be medically discharged, but I remember the members here showing support. I know several of you guys who have been around for a while offered to throw in to help. When I got back into smoking heavy a few months back, this site popped back into my mind.
Point is, there are a lot of good people here. Sure, I joke around alot, hell this is probably the most serious post I have written, but when it comes down to it, I have learned a lot here. There are a lot of you to thank for that. Tomorrow I will get to meet another site member, and he has kinda gone out of his way to help me out while he is here. You just don't find people of this caliber too much these days. I have noticed some tension and bickering in the forums lately, and I know I don't the whole story on a lot of it, but I do know it is pointless. Let the small stuff go, and be thankful for what you have. What we have on this site is a good community, one I am happy to be a part of. Take care of yourselves, and each other...
-Jason

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Jason: First thank you for your service.
Your post is well thought out and, I'm sure, is appreciated by the members. It's always good to get feedback from the guys doing the work.
Regarding tension and bickering: You get this many people together and sometimes feelings get hurt when points get argued. A dust-up now and then should be expected. The key is to not take anything too seriously. Stuff happens when people start to feel familiar, perhaps too fraternal with each other, and sometimes boundaries are crossed. This is usually unintentional and most misunderstandings can be resolved with a PM or two.

Jan 8, 2013
Warren, I completely agree. I'm just not a fan of being thin skinned, and I have noticed you aren't either. Grown men should act like grown men, that's all I'm saying.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Jason, first off not only my but I'm sure all our thanks for your service. I consider it an honor to have you join us all on the never ending journey of the pipe tobacco world. This forum is full of people with a huge amount of knowledge and very generous in many ways. In my time here almost the entire community has been one of endless knowledge, good times and enjoyable/questionable debate.
You have to remember that to some people a grain of sand is a rock. I've lived my personal life by a strict code of ethics including the leadership in my companies, so in this forum I do carry some rocks. This is a great forum and thankful for the huge amount of information, good old fun and new friends. I do my best to pass on everything I can to those starting our never ending journey. I've learned so much it's staggering.
In my woodworking there's a group of guys who turn pens, mostly for fun. They're a small thing, but it does cost about $4 for parts and you have to make and ship them. In the last year we've sent over 700,000 "freedom pens" to those serving. Looking into something for the troops may not be a bad idea.
Craig

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Jason, as the others pointed out THANK YOU! Being a desert storm/sheild vet... there is real value in a simple thank you. +1 Warren +1 Craig. Getting people to agree here (or anywhere) is like letting kids try and divy up a chocolate cake into equal pieces. Before you know it the cake is ruined and all the kids are a mess. If we should ever (and we should) get together and provide a gift package for our armed forces pipers I am more than happy to help. If there are FPO or AP addresses we can ship to. perhaps this is a new thread to start... Thanks again Jason... Be well.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Jason, I'm a member of a lot of forums, everything from gaming to music composition, and this the one place I keep coming back to. Just a great bunch of guys here from varied walks of life who are very giving with information and support. You're one of the reasons I feel at home here. Great post.
Mike

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jason, thank you for the insightful post, but thank you even more for the hard work and sacrifices that you've made for our country. Over and over again. It is easy for us back home to let our world spin ever smaller, tuning in on itself until all that is left is tiny and inconsequential. We float in darkness and come to believe that we are the center of our own galaxy. I read your post and it makes me stand back and take the blinders off, at least for a few minutes. I hope that you are able to heal and continue with your mission in life.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Jason,
I also am a Desert Shield/Storm Marine that wants to thank you for your service. As Warren so eloquently stated, when you get a bunch of people together, even friends, there is always going to be some points of contention. Even heated ones, but that's just life.
Have you been able to reconnect with the other member of the forums?
Dan

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Jason as a veteran I salute you for your service. As for the crabbing as we get older we get cranky, a mentor of mine that I worked with also a vet of WW2 his name was Bobby Crais father of Robert Crais the author. He was a pistol,his nickname was KOBA which he proudly wore on his hard hat. I remember the day I met him I said sir what does KOBA mean. Without batting an eye he told me Kiss Old Bobby's Ass., that did it for me he was my hero. Later as our friendship progressed I asked what does an older person strive for? He puffed out his chest and said son when you get old the only thing you pray for is a SLICK SHIT. , so in leaving you the cranky posts from us old codgers may have been we didn't get our slick shit.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Jason, wait until you have to start making those 0830 formations at Medical Hold! Yikes! 8O :lol:
As everyone has said, thanks for your service and sacrifice. I would have to echo your feelings on the members of this forum. Truly a great group of folks, and you are included in that stereotype, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.