PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
This is my first Latakia blend and I’m smoking my first pipeful as I write..
It’s also my first time using a clay pipe. I’m using an 18” clay cutty that I found in Tinder Box several years ago.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've never smoked it in a clay pipe though. In fact, I've never smoked anything in a clay pipe.
I never had either until I picked up one of the Old Dominion ones recently (I was actually their to get their Richmond Cob, as I was trying to find the cob with the widest chamber). I saw their clays, read about the history behind them and the technology (3D scanning and 3D printing) they used to replicate them from old artifacts. Being in the 3D scanning business, I had to have one, and at $20 they don't break the bank.
They are fun to smoke, and shag cuts seem to work fine in them. Haven't tried any other cuts in them yet.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Words to the wise, I’m sure.
I’ll put the clay back on the shelf it was decorating and try a briar. So far, though, the first pipeful was good enough that I had a second.. My third will be in a briar.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love Balkan Sasieni, I think it’s an excellent Balkan that is often over looked due to it being widely available and very decently priced. Backwards, I know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
widely available and very decently priced
That's what encourages me to buy anything. The reverse marketing psychology of expensive=better has fallen flat too many times for me.
Balkan Sasieni is a good one. Another to try would be Balkan Supreme.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Buying these as I did, in a bulk lot from another pipe smoker that included several pipes as well as a variety of tobaccos, I have no idea which ones of them might be expensive.

I do realize that I got an extremely good deal, but I could only offer what I could afford..

Meanwhile I’m enjoying them on their own merits without any expectation based upon their relative expense.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Meanwhile I’m enjoying them on their own merits without any expectation based upon their relative expense.
And that is a great reason to smoke a pipe. :clap:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That's what encourages me to buy anything. The reverse marketing psychology of expensive=better has fallen flat too many times for me.
Balkan Sasieni is a good one. Another to try would be Balkan Supreme.

Exactly! And yes, Balkan Supreme as another amazing Balkan, up there with the best of them and for a very good price. I just tried it for the first time earlier this year and it blew me away!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Okay, it’s in the briar now!
First big difference is that I can clench it without breaking it! Also I’m not concerned about getting fumble fingered and watching something I’be preserved for the last twenty years shatter at my feet, so I’m more relaxed than before.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
That was good. No flavors or undue sweetness, just a good honest, relaxing smoke.
I still don’t get the raves about Latakia, though. Am I missing something?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I mean, it's... pungent, sharp, smoky, salty. IMO, of course. In combination with other Oriental tobaccos it's very exotic and incense like. I love it, especially when used judiciously, but a lot of people find it offensive. Give it a couple of days and you may find yourself strongly craving it, and you may get a better idea of the raves for it.
I think Balkan Sasieni is a very nice Latakia/Balkan blend, and agree that Balkan Supreme is a similarly excellent blend. Love the availability and pricing.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
It has been speculated many times before that Balkan Supreme may be a bulk form of Sasieni.

Status
Not open for further replies.