PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
A big thanks to Alan73 for loaning me a squat Dunhill Bulldog for a few days... When I'm doing a new shape, there's nothing like having an actual pipe in front of you to work with. I made a few changes to suit my own preferences- I used a Fossilized Walrus tooth for the accent and B&W Ebonite rodstock from SEM of Germany. I rarely try for an exact duplicate- on this one, I hardened up some of the angles and gave it a little more of a forward tilt...
Mine came in at 26 grams, .8"dia tobacco chamber .92" deep 5.4" long..

Here are some pics...
2e66m3q.jpg

5uep1z.jpg

2dughvm.jpg

2rqhml3.jpg

73mlp4.jpg

2vmx4qq.jpg

2zia8g4.jpg

mj96r9.jpg

bds5jo.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
...and a couple of pictures on how I work on the shape- I use a mini CAD program on the iPad called Concepts and a Bamboo Wacom pen. My first time to use this- it works fairly well- the trick is to lay the lines to the outside of the surface- otherwise, what you're measuring is the dimension after blasting, not the dimension before blasting. Scaling is pretty easy- it's just a matter of measuring the length of the pipe with a micrometer, drawing a line that length, and enlarging the picture to the length of the line. I do a few other spot checks on measurements to make sure it's on track.
2j18kes.jpg

2zoiyyp.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Beautiful pipe Zack, nice job! Thanks for the tip on the cad program too.
Well, so much for memory. I went to look for the program and discovered I already have it. 8O
Now to see what I can do with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The ultimate flake cooker if I ever saw one, and light as a feather. Oh boy. 'Tis a beauty.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
You didn't finally run out of walrus weiner, did you?
Nope...have enough Oosic left for a few pipes. This was fossilized Walrus tooth...a really nice material..I put all the body parts of long dead Walrus to good use. My next variation on the next one will be a thick, hand hammered square silver band...should be a nice touch..,

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Damn! That one is perfect. I really like the cumberland stem colors and how they work with the walrus and briar stain.............. Exquisite! Great work Zach!!.......... :clap:

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Your A busy guy , between working the boat show, living life, you somehow squeeze in making an awesome pipein the same week :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.