PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've caught some big ornery spiders here in Texas, but I've never seen a wind scorpion! Plenty of the little yellow buggers, though. They'll sting the holy hell outta you, too.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I've only seen them in far west Texas, Big Bend/Trans-Pecos region. We called them Solfugids or wind scorpions. Caught lots of Vinageroons too those are even cooler. Caught lots of scorpions, scolopendra centipedes, desert millipedes, texas tan tarantulas, black widows, rattlesnakes, ratsnakes, milksnakes, coachwhips, toads and turtles too.

Made for good beer money :D

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Big scary looking spiders don't worry me near as much as something like a brown recluse, you don't even know them little sobs are around till its too late. There bite is nasty fo sho. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to wake up with one of those under the covers with me

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Camel Spiders are NOT deadly, in fact they are not even harmful. Daddy Longleg spiders also have no real venom, even though most people belive their bite to be deadly as well, and they can penetrate your skin, although this is rare as they are highly non-agressive. They look scarry as hell, I would definatley be afraid when I let it back outside if I ever found one in the house (I don't believe in killing harmless creatures, even spiders).
(From camelspiders.net)

Some common Camel Spider Myths:
1. Camel spiders can move at speeds over 30 MPH, screaming while they run.

2. Camel spiders can be as large as a frisbee.

3. Camel spiders venom is an anesthetic that numbs their prey.

4. Camel spiders can jump three feet high.

5. Camel spiders get there name because they eat the stomachs of camels.
THE FACTS
Most of these claims are false or greatly exaggerated.
1. Camel spiders top speed - 10 mph.

2. Size: Up to 6 inches

3. They have no venom.

4. They don't jump.

5. Called camel spiders because they live in the desert.

6. They actually aren't spiders at all, they're solpugids.. Along with spiders, they are members of the class Arachnida.

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
The fact that they have no venom and can't jump is just fine & dandy, but! If it can skitter (I guess that would be the word) up to 10 mph, and grow up to 6 inches then uh.. NOPE! Not having it. I say burn the house down with everything inside. :lol:

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
It looks like the truth and myth is coming out well. My masters degree is in invertebrate zoology; we studied these a bit in college. I caught one of them in west Texas; it was under my wife's sleeping bag. I have it dried in my office now. Cool little critters. Scary looking but really harmless. Some people keep wind scorpions as pets.

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
My girlfriend wants to start a bug collection, and I know she'd want something like a wind scorpion & Amblypygi. I just can't do it - I'd have nightmares! lol...

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@joshy

I've been collecting insects for about 25 years now. It's a great hobby. There's not as many US collectors as European collectors, don't know why. I had a preacher/biologist friend help get me get started when was 12. Send me a PM if you have any questions about the collecting.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
They look too much like the face hugger from Aliens. I'm afraid I'd have to terminate with extreme prejudice. I didn't used to have a big problem with Arachnids, but recently I came off some medication and it made me see black spiders the size of dogs. I seriously almost made a new doorway in the bedroom with my body.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Camel spiders are big and scary but not particularly dangerous to people. They creep me out. I had o deal with them when I was in the sandbox of perpetual war.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
We have Wolfe spider in VA which can get a good size. A quick clip from the 40 dispatchers them PDQ.
I wonder where all these holes in my concrete floor come from?

maduroman

May 15, 2010
icapture and relocate spiders into my tomato plants now. since starting this i have had zero white fly or aphid problems.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Tarantulas make really easy pets. You feed them crickets about once a month. Clean their tank about every 6 months. Easy! Female tarantulas live up to 30 years too. I used to have a Rosy Hair tarantula (see below); it died several years ago. I'm thinking of getting another.
Chilean-Rose-Hair-Tarantula-Grammostola-Rosea-2.jpg

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
There's just something about most critters I don't enjoy. My ex used to let scorpions crawl on her arm. Why? No clue. I used to have pet rats, but that's about as creepy as I'll get. Thanks storient and taerin for hunting down the information.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I am not afraid of spider per say, but I don't want one crawling on me either....now my step daughter will just about kill herself trying to run away from a granddaddy long leg.
-J

typical98

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto
im not scared of spiders at all, they don't bother me even if there crawling on me. Just some looks creepy. Kind of like when i look at my sisters ex... creepy and i just want to hit it with a bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.