PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
This one is going to my brother in law for Christmas. It's my first sitter. I gave it a partial plateau top. And I chamfered (for lack of a better word) the shank at the mortise, another first for me... I wanted to "sink" the stem. As with my other pipes, I sanded and polished briar and stem up to 12,000 grit. I'm not 100% happy with my contrast on this one, but it still turned out decent enough I suppose. Got a teeny tiny bit of stain on the top inside of the chamber. This one was fun, but a pain in the butt as well. Regardless of how heavy the bowl is compared to the shank and stem, it's a balancing act. One minute it's sitting perfectly well, and you can even push down on the shank and it will just roll back forward. And then while sanding, it seems the slightest bit taken off the bowl compared to shank and it becomes shank heavy and wants to roll backward. I got it mostly dialed in though by the time it was finished. Sitters are hard! Haha!
gectiFI.jpg
[/url][/img]
k7sCge5.jpg
[/url][/img]
ZHKh30w.jpg
[/url][/img]
LJNdlO0.jpg
[/url][/img]
xLWen6d.jpg
[/url][/img]
DZzQIwo.jpg
[/url][/img]

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm starting to notice the partially finished plateaux more and more these days, and I think it's more interesting than un-worked plateau. Nice touch on chamfering the end of the shank. Very nice pipe. :clap:

Looks like a flake-burner to me. :puffy:

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Awesome pipe . I think it looks fantastic . great straight grain on the left view picture. So, how much fun, ie time, goes into a project like that??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A real looker Anthony! :clap: I need to start making them again. Can never find the time. :crying:

Jan 8, 2013
I like the way the lines and grain contrast to make it look like it's breathing. You should call it Dragon's Breath.
As a lover of all things dragon, that Sir is a great idea! :clap:
I'm starting to notice the partially finished plateaux more and more these days, and I think it's more interesting than un-worked plateau. Nice touch on chamfering the end of the shank. Very nice pipe. :clap:
Some of the higher end artisans have been doing it for a while. I love that look. That's where I got the idea, I think from a Rad Davis or a Bruce Weaver or something originally. This is only the second time I've done it like that. And thank you!
So, how much fun, ie time, goes into a project like that??
Well I have no power tools, other than my cheap buffing machine, so I use only wood rasps and files and carve it all out by hand. I didn't even rough shape this one with a hand saw. I just started tearing into it with the rasp. So.... a long time :lol: And some sore hands! But it is indeed very fun. :D

Jan 8, 2013
Thank you everyone, for the kind words :)
I need to start making them again. Can never find the time. :crying:
Oh I understand completely. Work's been crazy lately, and I've been so tired, finding time for this one was a bit rough.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just seeing this for the first time. Very impressive work Anthony. Beautiful grain...and the overall shape is really nice. :clap:

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
If you want more contrast might consider doing a chemicle "stain". Wine tannens brushed on the pipe then you take steel wool and put it in a jar a vinegar. The steel wool will breakdown and you paint it on. Its all I do now for "staining".
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fresh-off-the-bench-bamboo-and-briar-rhodesion

Status
Not open for further replies.