PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Been away for a bit. I finished this billiard the other day and thought I would post a few pics. I tried to take some pics while holding the straight edge I use with one hand while taking the picture with the other hand. There is one cosmetic flaw on the rim that opened up when I was turning it on the lathe. Don't even thing about getting me started on briar wastage. :evil:
I'm not happy with the color. I wanted something with more burgundy and darker. Next time. I really tried to pay attention to straight lines. I also messed up with my air hole drilling. It's about 1mm off center. Anyway, this is the result. Oh, and I'm trying to use up the last of my Pre-cast stems as well, so this stem is vulcanite.

Take care folks!
0b3xatA.jpg

UHU4wCR.jpg

e3Yry9c.jpg

YQH880D.jpg

xzmTe8T.jpg

RZ5y0FJ.jpg

xzmTe8T.jpg

KLWH1Wj.jpg

1yHBzgx.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well done! Do I have this right? There's a tiny taper from the bowl to the stem, which is continued by the stem until it really tapers off.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

You gotta love a billiard. Nice job and thanks for sharing the pictures! :clap:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you for the kind comments.

Well done! Do I have this right? There's a tiny taper from the bowl to the stem, which is continued by the stem until it really tapers off.
jp, I'm really going to show my ignorance here; yes there is a small taper if you are looking at the first picture. I tried to keep everything as flat and straight as I could. Probably should have worked that back a bit more.

Harris, I've been muddling away now for a little more than a year. Kind of the one step forward two steps back deal.

I gotta post this on the PMF and get their feedback. I will do that later this evening.

Chris

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks again folks.

jp, no worries man! All comments welcome and good!

Waiting to hear back from some of the folks on the PMF and then incorporate into my next try.

Chris

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo shik
The color is perfect to me - I love those golden undertones. And the very slight taper to the shank and stem makes the flow of the lines very graceful and organic.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's good to be self-critical in honing your skills, but that pipe's a classic and a beauty. The billiard is the paradigm of a pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is some nice work for only a year or so. Are you using top quality German vulcanite for your stems? I also think the color is a good choice. Any darker and it may not show off that birdseye as well.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Again, thank you for all the comments.

Harris, that stem is a preformed vulcanite stem from VFH. I have various acrylic rod and Black, Japanese Ebonite rods that I have used a few times. Right now I'm trying to use up the preformed because I have so many of them.
I haven't used any Cumberland yet for two reasons: cost and my fear of destroying very expensive product.

So I practice with the much cheaper acrylic and Japanese ebonite.

It's coming. I use the slot files from VFH and I also picked up an assortment of recommended files suggested by folks on the PMF board from Otto Frei.
James, that isn't a spit as in a catastrophic split that would cause burn through or destroy the pipe. It's a pit/flaw. Other than making the pipe unsalable and me pissed off and ranting to my wife about briar, it won't affect the smoking characteristics of the pipe.

I know, I know, the check is in the mail, don't worry it's only a cold sore... etc. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.