PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I started making pipes last October... working on it a few hours per week. So, here they are ...
It's such a looooooot of fun and a huuuuuge amount of happiness to smoke a pipe made by myself!
img_9356-337x600.jpg

img_9611-337x600.jpg

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
@jnielson the first one was made from a Mimmo block aged over 10 years, the second was a Makis old block from Greece (the bottom block in the pic).....
img_9519-480x600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An acorn and an egg, and you even manage to play with proportions a bit, in a pleasing way. Impressive.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I think you're off to an impressive start. I'm not just saying that to blow smoke up your arse either I think they are genuinely good. They are not my type of pipes but it's clear you have a knack for this if they are your first two. I'd like to see that stem work a little closer.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for the input @jazz, but I like the stem more old school. I really don't appreciate the close stem work nowadays very much, I enjoy the way Bo and JM put the stem a bit distance from the shank ... the problem I found afterwards was about the interlace of aesthetic lines ... powerful Teddy style stem connected to a soft JM-ish stummel, a bit wired.
@cigrmaster, well, cool and dry should be the bottom line right? My Ivarssons stayed in rack and I smoked the two pipes all these days ;) I used very small drill size (3.5 and 3.3 mm), but with the proper bowl profile and bowl/air way connection it's more flavorful and never get any issue of tight draw, over heat or gurgle. I'll start another thread addressing the aerodynamics in smoking pipes in a couple of days.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Thanks for the input @jazz, but I like the stem more old school. I really don't appreciate the close stem work nowadays very much, I enjoy the way Bo and JM put the stem a bit distance from the shank ... the problem I found afterwards was about the interlace of aesthetic lines ... powerful Teddy style stem connected to a soft JM-ish stummel, a bit wired.
Hmm, I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I was simply saying I would like to have a closer look at your stem work. As in button and hole. I believe you can learn a lot about a pipe and its maker from the details in these areas.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
@jazz, roger ;) 5am here, gonna take a few closer shots tomorrow...

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Those are both amazing. The second one really speaks to me, I love how the grain transitions from flame on the side to birdseye on the top of the stummel. Masterfully carved. Kudos!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I took the 2nd pipe with me today, just took a few shots...it's not buffed yet.
img_2559-600x600.jpg

img_2560-600x600.jpg

img_2561-600x600.jpg

img_2562-600x600.jpg

img_2563-600x600.jpg

Some shots during the finish.
img_2497-450x600.jpg

img_2499-450x600.jpg

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Well, I'm certainly no expert, respected critic or pipe maker but I can say I'm really impressed with these as first attempts. I was expecting your stem work to be messier than that. I am looking forward to seeing your future work.

Status
Not open for further replies.