Just Finished- Morta Author With Hot Rod Stem...

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

zack24

Preferred Member
May 11, 2013
This was fairly interesting- a small Author with some really unusual stem material from SEM in Germany- every year in Chicago, they have some limited run rod stock- I thought this was a very unusual color combination- kinda reminded me of a 1950s Mercury Hot Rod with a Flame Paint Job (but then again- I have been drinking wine and smoking ribs all afternoon, so what do I know...:) I wanted to come up with something smaller than I usually make on Authors- this one came in at 4.5" and 39 grams with a 1.25" deep bowl- .72" wide...

zack24

Preferred Member
May 11, 2013
There's a hair on the pipe in the fifth photo!
On blasts, I always rub it on my chest to put a shine on it...must have picked up a stray hair...:)

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Love the basket weave texture which answers that far-out stem to perfection. If I smoked that at a pipe show or club, I'd be way too cocky. The marriage made in heaven.

zack24

Preferred Member
May 11, 2013
Glad you guys like it! I'll have some time over Christmas to get a couple finished that I've been thinking about... Always appreciate the feedback!

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Excellent pipe, love the stem. Do you have a favorite shape to make? I’m a smooth operator, do you make many smooth pipes?

zack24

Preferred Member
May 11, 2013
Do you have a favorite shape to make? I’m a smooth operator, do you make many smooth pipes?
It’s probably a tossup between an Author and a Bulldog...and I love smooths- tend to make more blasts because more folks prefer them...
I have an antique meer cutty coming in a couple of days- thinking about modeling a smooth cutty adapted from that design..

wyfbane

Preferred Member
Apr 26, 2013
Zack,
Your pipe making is phenomenal. I love my morta author. Please explore the smooth cutty idea. I should be ready for one by spring. :puffy: