PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
As I sit here in my comfortable motel room, syncing my iPad and iPod, I can't help but think about the people in Joplin.
Monday morning I delivered a couple of excavators in Joplin, MO. They will be used to help in the clean up of the aftermath of the tornado that recently hit there.
My route to the delivery point took me through the middle of the area that was destroyed by the tornado. I have seen areas hit by tornadoes before, and had seen television images of the recent destruction in Joplin, but driving through there that morning was surreal.
One moment everything looked perfectly normal and the next I was driving through a mile wide area of almost total destruction. Homes, businesses, and trees had been utterly demolished. looking left and right all I could see was heaps of rubble that had once been people's homes and businesses. The level of destruction was disturbingly complete.
For an instant I started to reach for my camera, but then I reminded myself that many, many people had died in that rubble, and decided to not photograph the scene. Somehow it just didn't seem like the right thing to do.
I delivered the equipment and moved on into Texas to deliver the rest of my load, but the remainder of the day I was left with a very solemn and morose feeling in my soul. I just couldn't help but think about what it must have been like to go through that horrific effect of nature at it's worst.
I hauled some things in and out after Katrina and wasn't nearly as affected as I was on Monday morning. Maybe it's because I have experienced many hurricanes in my life. Joplin was just...different somehow.
I was pleased to see that there were a great many volunteers working in the area helping out. Lots of good people still out there and ready to answer the call for help. That lightens the heart a bit.
I have never been one to pass on new scenes and experiences, but somehow I think I could have lived without passing through Joplin on Monday.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I hear ya, Mason. Years ago we had an F4 tornado hit just a bit north of us. It hit just as teachers were getting to schools and right before buses were to pick kids up at their stops. I was working for an electric company at the time and hadn't heard about it till I got into the office. The war room experience was unbelievable and then going with the engineer that worked that area a few days later was even more surreal. A few weeks later, we went to my wife's grandmother's and saw even more destruction. The tornado had passed right next to their home, on their land, then completely removed homes from their foundations and you could still see every bit of it.
I feel for the families in Joplin and it's good to hear that people are just working the best they can to recover from it all.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This year has been one (literally) for the record books.

But, peoples' homes and lively hoods have been scrubbed from the face of the earth.

I feel deeply for those in Joplin, and those in the Tuscaloosa and the... the several small towns that disappeared/were obliterated here in Alabama from these too many twisters. My family and I all feel fortunate that the three tornados in our area went North and South of us.

We were very lucky... But... those in in Joplin and Tuscaloosa were not.
There is a feeling around here that still exits... Everyone is more polite and accommodating around here since that day. It is eerily reminiscent of the days following 9-11.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
It's crazy how things like this bring people together.

I was talking with my wife's uncle, who is a police officer in Florida. He commented that since 9/11, he's seen crime rise and people's feeling of security waver. We can definitely see this with our economy making things worse as well, but when there is that tragedy there again and again, it reminds us that we're all trying to accomplish the same things and so we try to help where we can.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
It takes a caring person to feel the loss and tragedy in another person's life. You are a good and compassionate man. Too many people unfortunately do not express and demonstrate their concern for others in their daily rat race. We would all be better off if more guys like you were around. Good and respectful post of a sad human event.

Status
Not open for further replies.