PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
After much inner dialogue, I've decided the MacBaren Navy Flake has overtaken GL Pease Jack Knife Plug as my favorite blend.

I'm trying to come up with a comprehensive list of all in-production navy blends.
This can include:

1.) Form factor (such as flakes, coins, plugs)

2.) Tobacco type of navy Cavendish (Virginia pressed with rum)

3.) Blends that mention the word Navy.
Feel free to add your detective work to the list, and I'll update. I'll then categorize them into separate categories depending on the mentioned above, but for now:
MacBaren Navy Flake

MacBaren Plum Cake

MacBaren (Capstan Blue) Original Navy Cut/Ready Rubbed

MacBaren (Capstan Yellow) Gold Navy Cut/Ready Rubbed
GL Pease Navigator
Dan's Salty Dog Plug
C&D Blockade Runner

C&D Black Frigate
PS Luxury Navy Flake
Newminster no.400 Superior Navy Flake
Sam Gawith Navy Flake
Escudo Navy De Luxe

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Going on just cut, flakes, coins, and plugs there's like a million.
Specifically Navy/Rum ones all I can think of that isn't already on your list:
Gawith and Hoggarth Rum Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake

GL Pease Sextant
I would say Gawith and Hoggarth Sweet Rum Roll Twist as well, but I guess it's classified as an aromatic, but I think it's just VaBur and Rum? Could be wrong. But it's rope. which is cool.
Theres some other "close" ones like CD after hours and Sutliff Barbados plantation, but these are really aromatics. But they are rum loaded.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Black Frigate and Sutliff's Queen Anne's Revenge (the rum aro) come to mind. Some of the bag tobacco economy blends also offer Rum or Buttered Rum flavoring. Good thing this isn't a thread about really joining the Navy, because I would have had 400 words of advice and I haven't been in the Navy since Athens attacked Sparta.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Suddenly, I'm wondering how a tobacco blend would turn out if one chose Screech to steep the leaves in, instead of a more normal rum.
Screech is a somewhat apocryphal raw rum of legend, supposedly distilled and not-aged in St. John's Newfoundland, which got its name because that's what sound a sailor makes after drinking some. I never did find out if there ever was such a product, or if it was just a legend among the sea stories of the North Atlantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.