PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Fabulous knockdown drag out game tonight between Iowa and Penn State. As much as I loved the game, this evening I became a fan of every pig farming, corn raiser in their Iowa City stadium.
The fans started something recently that's about as good as anything gets. There's a new 12 story children's hospital across the street from Kinnick Stadium. Tonight, at the end of the first quarter, fans stood, lit up their cell phones and waved to all the kids.
It was wonderful. Brilliant. Beautiful. Heartwarming.
I wish I could embed a video. Please hit the following link and scroll down a bit. It's truly something.
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2017/09/23/cell-phone-flashlights-made-hawkeye-wave-even-cooler-saturday-night/696488001/
Cheers,
Fnord

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Those fans are amazing. I also saw the interview that the sideline reporter did with one of the young men who is currently in the hospital. It brought me joy to see how the small actions of others were having such a large impact on the moral of a patient fighting for his life. I also imagine that the fans actions are also priceless to the parents. Keep it up Buckeyes.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Just amazing. Direct link to the video:
LINK
Here is a picture:
636417986365275497-Cell-lights-IowaFBvsPSU-2354.JPG

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You're the best, Javen.
Sitting in the underbelly of the former U.S.S.R. you pop up a pix and a Twitter link to what I was trying to describe. Thanks for being a pal.
During the game last night they kept cutting away to the kids waving glow lights at the crowd.
Those Iowans have football and then the primaries every four years and they lost almost 22,000 dead and wounded during our Civil War. This is bed-rock USA. I like these people.
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Fnord, although I was born in the U.S.S.R I've never seen the real face of the government, it collapsed before I went to the elementary school. Being a kid in the 90s post-Soviet country was a nightmare, however thanks to my parents I was well protected and became a well educated person. I've always been a pro-American and pro-Western person contrary to many others who are pro-Russian in my country. These kind of things always make me happy, because world stops turning for a while when a football fan or a party supporter or someone else leaves everything behind and just shows his humanity, these kind of actions always restore people's faith in humanity.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I saw something on BBC news last night about an American football match being played at Wembley Stadium. My question is why do some players have black stripes on their faces? Even some dark skinned players had this adornment.
Does it signify a player's rank or position on the field?
BTW I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to American Football if that isn't already obvious.
Regards,
Jay.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Proud to be an Iowa alum! I've seen many a game in Kinnick but haven't been back in years. Here's ESPN's Scott Van Pelt's take on the Kinnick Wave a few weeks ago.
One Big Thing
Unfortunately, the Hawks couldn't pull out a win (lost on the final play), but love this new tradition.
On a related note, Saquon Barkley is not human--he had over 300 all purpose yards that night
He also did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3wm60SNqt8

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cheers for the explanation Eric, I would never have guessed that was the reason.
Next question...why do some cricketers paint a white stripe over their noses...most odd looking is that.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
No stumper Eric, I genuinely don't know why the do it. My only sporting interest is snooker where such facial makeup would be regarded with much mirth...imagine Ronnie O'Sullivan turning up at the Crucible Theatre wearing mascara!
Regards,
Jay.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
imagine Ronnie O'Sullivan turning up at the Crucible Theatre wearing mascara!
Still not worse than Steve Davis wearing a wig and Dennis Taylor huge eye glasses during the 1 frame rematch of prominent 1985 World Snooker Championship final.
hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Looks like Dennis Taylor borrowed those glasses from Elton John!
I recall some years ago Graham Dott appeared with a sticking plaster on his chin...everyone assumed he had cut himself shaving but when asked about it he claimed his chin was getting sore due to running the cue against it when taking a shot. He got teased something awful about that.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Next question...why do some cricketers paint a white stripe over their noses...most odd looking is that.
Not that there'd be enough sunshine in the land of the unwashed to cause folks to put zinc oxide on their snouts, but in the land down under, visiting India, SA and so forth, a bit so sun protection, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.