PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

pipertibbs

May 8, 2017
Folks,
I have been searching for Calich pipes. I have a few in my collection and I recently acquired one with a grading of "W10" on it. I've not found any information on this grading system for John's work. Would anyone have some information on this grade?
On another note, I'd love to buy/trade for a high grade Calich pipe if you have one you'd like to part with. PM me if that's appropriate. Thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
I'll move this to Pipe Talk (you don't currently have permissions to use the classifieds sections). Good luck with your search, I don't have any familiarity with Calich pipes, but I'm sure someone here will.

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member
Dec 24, 2012
pipertibbs, I would be interested to see a photo of the stamping, as I have neither seen nor heard of a Calich with a W marking.

civilwar

Preferred Member
Mar 6, 2018
John Calich made some great pipes, I have several. I'm not too sure about the grading system.

civilwar

Preferred Member
Mar 6, 2018
His pipes are graded 3E - 7E. Retail prices range from$ 145.00 to $ 500.00 Each pipe is stamped "CALICH" 3-8E, his earlier pipes were graded from 3-14, and a single, tiny silver dot is applied to the top of the stem.
From Pipedia

civilwar

Preferred Member
Mar 6, 2018
His early pipes were graded with numbers from 3 – 14. By the late 1980’s Calich introduced 15, 16, and even one 17. In the mid-90’s the grade system changed employing a number of E’s. The more EE’s the higher the grade.
From rebornpipes