PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
So what is everyone's chosen/forced upon profession? I am an HVAC Technician and I also do the DDC programming for our computer control setup. When I grow up I want to be a dentist.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm retired and do nothing. The thing about doing nothing is that you never get caught up. I spent 33 years, 4 months and 15 days in the industrial minerals business and retired as Director of Sales at 55 in 2008. It was a great career but my new one is spiritually more fullfilling.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
VP Sales & Marketing for a small marketing firm. I basically run the joint as the owner is nice but clueless about his business. So really I deal with customers, IT, production and I'm the Chief babysitter to make sure he doesn't spend stupidly. I enjoy it most days and like I said the owner is a good man.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I work backend for the 'worlds foremost outfitter'. I'd really love to get into bartending as it's my passion in life but the money I'm making is just too much to walk away from.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I have the coolest job in the universe (to me 8) ). I am a Partner in an "Accelerator" firm - think about it as a Venture Capital firm. We work with small technology start ups. Here's the kicker.... most small companies can not afford to pay for a full time VP of Sales, CFO, or CTO so they call in our company. We provide these functions but we work for equity. So if the company goes public, gets purchased, our investment pays the partners. My company has been doing this for about 16 years. So currently, I am VP of Sales for about 3 companies, working in other sales start-ups in other capacities. Its really really fun and could be rewarding. I really really love and feel blessed and fortunate to work with some super smart people. I hope it rubs off on me!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'm a technician/ truck driver at an environmental clean up company. We have 20k and 55k hydroblasters, vaccum trucks and jetter trucks. Just got the news I'm headed toward being a supervisor.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Just started my newest career venture with a new company that will be turning dairy waste into methane gas and creating enough electricity for over 3000 homes. Super excited to be part of this!!
GreenWhey Energy

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I manage a bodyshop for a Buick/GMC dealership. Started as a tech in 2005. Worked my way up pretty fast. I love my job.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I'm a Buddhist priest and educator - working mainly with students at a local university, but also do all the things any clergy person does - services, chaplaincy, deathbed visits, organizing local events, etc.
Became ordained in 1964 in Bangkok, on break from Vietnam. I also do writing and editing, working with my wife (no, I'm not a MONK, I'm a PRIEST, so not celibate) who is a professional photographer/writer, traveling the world.
Currently editing a book on modern Chinese history.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I work for a company that makes syntactic foam buoyancy products for the oceanographic and oil & gas industries. I'm primarily a machinist, but over the years I've worked every department, from mold to mix to machine to finish to final to shipping. Not a bad gig, although since we've become corporatized about three years ago (we HAD been independent for the past thirty or so years), the human element seems to be in decline. Other than being a number instead of a face, it's not entirely bad. It's just a shadow of its former self.
Damn bureaucrats.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I am a Superintendent in the Park and Recreation Department. I oversee several large city wide programs, handle contractors, interface with City government, and some days lay on my back and work on mowing decks.
Work is work, whether it's getting my hands dirty or politicking with new administration team it's all about getting it done.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am a Cost Controller in the Oil & Gas Sector. I work for one of the largest Engineering firms in the world. Currently I am the lead cost controller on a $800 Million dollar polymerization plant. I am responsible for the budget of the project for my client and for the profitability of my company. Basically, I have all the financial responsibility with none of the authority. $800 Million seems big but it is a drop in the bucket for me, I used to work on the mega project of 4 and 5 billion, so I am currently bored out of my mind and am trying to move onto being a project engineer.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Which career? LOL
Have been a Texas HS football and track coach, a Systems Analyst for Jaguar Cars NA, Sr. Programmer for KPMG, and Sr. Software Engineer for a printing and barcoding/package labeling company. Since 2000, working solo designing interactive webs and doing mechanical drawing projects at same time.
Lastly, wrote an 80,000 word mystery novel that I've set aside for revisions and publishing until I can settle down again. Busy with mundane, but necessary things at this time before retiring from it all and just writing (maybe).

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I build chemical laboratories. Been doing it for 26 years. I'm a project manager and general manager of the company. Building labs is basically construction, but with a lot of specialized systems and materials. I really enjoy it. It's not like work to me, it's just what I do. Fun to think of the discoveries that might be made in a lab I built. Maybe the cure for cancer, or maybe a new gasoline additive that will double mileage. You never know. In some small way I feel like I'm contributing to society. I work in chemical plants, hospitals, research labs even the fast food industry uses laboratories. I even built the lab sets in the movie Robocop II, LOL.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
Mechanical Engineer. I design agricultural equipment, and for what it's worth, I've met plenty of pipe smoking farmers over the years, but I've never seen a single one smoking a cob. :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Retired with Exxon at the Baton Rouge Chemical plant, was an Operations Supervisor, built 2 Ethylene Plants from the ground up , Ethyelene is the basic building block for all chemicals. Living on the family farm, 81 acres, growing sugar cane, used to be a rice farm but irrigation played out and a deep water well would cost over 100,000$ , don"t make that much in rice.Started the pipe in 2012 after a 40 yr break and realize how much I had missed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.