PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I got a couple tins of this blend. I usually don't like "remakes" but I liked the original so much I thought I would give it a try.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't see it that way. The Virginias in YOS are a little less grassy and have a light fermented quality that DE doesn't. Plus, the topping on YOS is different, kind of Royal Yacht-like in weaker form, and there's not even a hint of that particular topping in DE.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Got 2 tins of this. One is set aside for aging; I expect to have the other one open within the next month or so. Was already looking forward to it, and more so now. Never had the original, so it was stand on its own. Thanks, Jim.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Paulie: I saw that, but it's not going to be sold in the USA, so I'll miss out on it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Happy Holidays to you and yours, too, Paul. Hope you have a great Christmas.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
it's not going to be sold in the USA, so I'll miss out on it.
I might pick some up next time I'm on that side of the pond, but I have my reservations. A VA with a liberal helping of PG seems like it could be a real tongue biter. Although the regular and full dry pretty well if left out a few hours. Unlike the SG blends which supposedly don't have PG and yet seem impossible to dry without some form of heat applied.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't see it that way. The Virginias in YOS are a little less grassy and have a light fermented quality that DE doesn't. Plus, the topping on YOS is different, kind of Royal Yacht-like in weaker form, and there's not even a hint of that particular topping in DE.
Well, that settles it then...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Oh Shutterbug,thanks for this PG reminder on Amphoras,and what side effects one may expect,yes,my experience says this statement correspond the truth,somehow (dont know why?)all these middle of road type popular blends need to be aired prior to smoking,+ that light weird sidetaste on most of these so called'popular blends,is something to notice,too, at least I did found odd side taste with CH,and in lesser degree with Amphoras and Borkun Riff Tobacco, yet,desidedly,all them have a tendency to bite if note hadled with extrem care,nevertheless I refer this slight biting effect may arise due to the fact that undersigned is far from being an experienced smoker and thus could easily commit some hazardous inevitable mistakes during the smoking (packing and cadence-wise) Happy Holidays to you

Paul

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the nice review. I just added a tin ofYOS to my current order. I'll open it as soon as it's delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.