PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias have a bit of hay and grass along with some citrus. There’s also a little dark fruit, wood, bread and earth, though these facets tend to act as supporting flavors. The sweetness has a rich fermented quality as well as some aspects of tea. These qualities existed in the original version in almost the same ratios, except the previous manufacture sported a touch more depth of flavor. The other differences are that this is just a little more grassy, and there’s a very slight hint of the kind of topping found in Royal Yacht which I believe is added in the casing, and not the topping. Otherwise, it would be hard to tell this version from the older one. The nic-hit is closer to medium than it is to mild. No chance of bite here. Unlike the earlier YOS, which wouldn’t get harsh, this possibly may give you a note of that if you puff very fast. This thin ribbon cut borders on being a shag, so I recommend not smoking it dry, and puffing at a slow to moderate rate. Burns fairly cool with a consistent taste from start to finish as it easily burns to ash. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Packs the same kind of punch that the original did once you get to the half way point, and can be an all day smoke for an experienced smoker. Three and a half stars.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Definitely one I want to try.
Thanks to having some room in my college schedule way back when, I took a mini course on the rudiments of Anglo-Saxon, and we got through a few poems and laws. One thing I can actually remember 20 years on is that the Y in "ye" is just a handwriting/printing corruption of the old AS letter thorn, which, though archaic at the time printing came around, was still used occasionally, particularly for the word "the." The "ye" was always pronounced as the modern "the"

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Ok, Jim, You're my tutor, Thanks for this ,later on I may wanna try this out,even if I'm not the biggest fan of Dunhills,(they always seem me to be loaded with nicotine-)but of course this my'attitude may change over the years to come,espesially when I consider Dunhill tobaccos high quality standards,

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks, Paulie. I should say the nic-hit on this one grows as you along. It's not for nic-wimps, though I've certainly had stronger blends.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
This blend interests me. I never felt the nic from Royal Yacht, which is reputed to be Dunhill's higest-nic blend, and I doubt this one comes close to that.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbug: I have found Royal Yacht to be a little inconsistent in regard to the nic-hit. Some tins have had more than others, at least in my past experience. I didn't find YOS to have as much nicotine as RY generally does, but it has enough to note. And given how some do think RY has an overpowering nic-hit (I'm not one who does), those particular folks may consider YOS to have more nicotine than they want. That's difficult to predict one way or another as body chemistry will dictate that answer for each individual. All I could do is rate the nicotine level against other blends I have smoked.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thanks to Jims excellent review, I picked up a tin of Ye Olde Signe today. YOS reminds me very much of Royal Yacht, it is like they used RY as a base blend and added a darker element that I cannot describe yet, as this is my first bowl, but they are definitely close cousins. Thank you Jim.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Jim - intriguing review. Ironically they haven't realised this (or Dunhill Dark Flake) yet in the U.K., preferring to go for the US first. Going to have to find me some and bring it over!
Andy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Paulie: There's really no comparison between the two blends as they have different profiles, but the current Three Nuns has less nicotine, and I would also say it has a little less bolder flavor than Ye Olde Signe. Three Nuns has more variety of flavors.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I was unimpressed with the current 3 Nuns. Kind of the same sitch as a current Chevy Impala. The name's the same but the game's a joke compared to what it once was.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbug: I like it for its own merits, but it's certainly not what it had been. The VaPer version is light years ahead of it. And unfortunately, it's not coming back.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Thank you for your review, Jim, sir. I'm sitting on one tin of both Ye Olde Signe and Dark Flake; and I'm curious, in your opinion, which of the two blends is richer? As of late, I've been craving deep, fermented Virginias, and I assumed Dark Flake would fit the bill, but this review seems to point me towards YOS.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If richer and deeper, stronger flavor is what you want, go for the YOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.