Jim's Revised Peretti's Park Square Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is a review of the original version of Park Square that was comprised of McClelland tobaccos. The red, stoved and matured Virginias are tangy, dark fruit sweet with a mild fermented sugar fruit from the stoved, along with a bit of earth. The red Virginia is slightly more noticeable than the other Virginias. It does have a little of the McClelland "vinegar" that smokers of that company's products will find familiar. However, in this blend, it's very mild and does not interfere with the flavor. It has enough perique to add a little sweet raisin and fig hits, but very little spice, adding a light complexity. The strength is closer to medium than it is to mild, and the taste level falls just short of medium. The nic-hit is almost in the center of mild to medium. Won't bite or get harsh even when pushed. Burns cool and clean and a little slow with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves very little moisture in your bowl, but needs some relights. Has a pleasant, slightly lingering after taste. An all day smoke. This production got 3 stars.
Update: 1-31-2019: I have been smoking the recent “McClelland-less” version of this blend. The proportions and properties of the tobaccos are the same, but the effects are different. This is less sweeter, less potent in every respect with only a bare hint of the “vinegar”. The strength and nic-hit are a step or two past the mild mark, while the taste is in the center of mild to medium. No bite, no harsh notes. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace (unlike the original manufacture) with light inconsistency in flavor. It gets a tad stronger at the half way point. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. An all day smoke. Two stars for this watered down production.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Thanks, Jim. I've been curious how McClelland's disappearance would impact various house blends. And I really like Peretti's blends, though this wasn't a personal favorite.
Any other blends, off the top of you're head, where you've noticed such clear differences?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
No, but only because I haven't tried the others that once used McClelland tobacco. The one ounce sample I got was from somebody who didn't like the change and wanted my opinion on it.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks so much, Jim.
To digress slightly, do you knoe if the Peretti's #8 Slices has changed, or did they always use Sutliff Va?

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Thanks Jim.
To digress slightly, do you knoe if the Peretti's #8 Slices has changed, or did they always use Sutliff Va?
I was just coming to comment the same question. I've heard people saying that they're not really digging the new #8 slices.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I haven't tried any recent No. 8 Slices, so I can't say if they are different, but I'm mostly certain Sutliff was making the older version I had been smoking.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
Thank you. I noticed the difference but couldn't put my finger on it. I still like it, but glad I still have some of the old stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.