Jim's McClelland Yenidje Highlander Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This Oriental blend has quite a range of nuances ranging from sweet to minor sour notes, smoke, wood, earth, a little dryness, some spice, and in the case of the yenidje, what I classify as an “unflavored soda” taste. As expected, they rule the day with this blend. The Virginia provides tangy sweet dark fruit and earth with a very light spice as a smoothing additive as an important condiment that acts bigger than its actual content. The Maryland essentially acts as a flavor carrier and doesn’t really add anything to the taste. The Cyprian and Syrian latakias add a smokey, woody, sweet and dry tone you’ll always notice as it continuously lurks in the back ground. There is the familiar McClelland “vinegar” that mostly lightly translates to the earlier portion of the experience. The nic-hit is in the middle of mild to medium. The taste and strength are closer to medium than it is to mild. Well blended with a fair amount of complexity, you’ll notice most every aspect of the lightly creamy, very smooth consistent flavor from top to bottom. Relights a few relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Has a lasting, very pleasant after taste, and the room note won’t scare away your dogs or cats. It’s close, but not quite an all day smoke, though some experienced smokers may find otherwise.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Excellent review as always. This sounds like a nice taste adventure, but considering it's your review Jim, one has to remember that YOU taste everything in a tobacco blend, pretty much.

There are those who's reviews you say to yourself, wow, he's sure using his imagination here, but with your reviews, I have confidence.

Except maybe when it comes to blends like Smoker's Pride, where I think your superior pallet provides you access to subtleties beyond my reach.

smoker's pride review by Jiminks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Did this one awhile back myself. Very good blend!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/yenidje-highlander-review

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Great review, Jim. I see you've mentioned that unflavored soda flavor that you get from Yenidje, and I think I know what you mean. It comes across as a slightly sour taste and spicy tingle mouthfeel if I'm tracking you.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dan: yeah, something like that. I've never really been able to exactly define it to my satisfaction. I just know when I taste it, I get the same feeling I get from soda without the added flavors we always associate with soft drinks.
Newbroom: I thank you for the compliment. I really have to say, regarding a few Smoker's Pride non-aro blends, that I find them suitable for what they are intended to do: give a little flavor, burn easy and make a lot of smoke as you work and play for a cheap price. The quality of the tobacco is pretty decent, though not remarkable. You must also remember that when I'm reviewing any blend, I'm looking for the various flavors and their nuances, big or small. That's why I try to detail how much of what in a blend the average smoker will notice. But, it's something you have to pay a bit of attention to.
In the case of the SP Mellow that you linked to, I think it's a decent all day fairly one dimensional easy going smoke with mostly natural flavor, and there's a bit of good to be said for that kind of blend in that particular genre of products.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for the review!

I've been meaning to try the Grand Orientals series for a while now, you may have pushed me over the edge

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Jim, have you ever smoked a Cuban cigar? I get that soda thing from those too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Chasingembers: a few times, yes, but in a different way. Still, I know what you mean.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hmmmm. Would be interesting to study the tobaccos that cause that effect just to isolate the "x" factor. I find it to be a very agreeable sensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.