PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
Capstan at 50%, and DO NOT underestimate the Ascanian No.1 Mild.
How does the No. 1 compare to the Ascanian No. 2? I smoked the No. 2 expecting something really special and was decidedly underwhelmed. My understanding is that the only difference between the two is that No. 2 has more perique.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've tried to order from them on several occasions and my debit card keeps being rejected. Their alternative payment method is an international bank transfer... the details of which seem foggy. I emailed about the problem and in response they just canceled my order and said try again. I've pretty much dropped the idea of buying from Estervals at this point.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I've tried to order from them on several occasions and my debit card keeps being rejected. Their alternative payment method is an international bank transfer... the details of which seem foggy. I emailed about the problem and in response they just canceled my order and said try again. I've pretty much dropped the idea of buying from Estervals at this point.
I had this problem with Danish pipe shop recently. My bank just flat out told me they will not allow it citing European fraud. The Den's are out to get us!!
I ended up using a Discover card without issue. If that helps any..

Reactions: logs

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
No updates for me sadly....

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.
October 14, 2019, 11:05 am
Processed Through Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY
October 1, 2019, 2:31 pm
Acceptance
GERMANY

I have hope though, so not all is lost!

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
How does the No. 1 compare to the Ascanian No. 2? I smoked the No. 2 expecting something really special and was decidedly underwhelmed. My understanding is that the only difference between the two is that No. 2 has more perique.
I’ve not tried the Ascanian No.2, so I cannot give a real comparison.
In the No.2 the perique content was increased to 10%.
The No.1 was my choice with the thought that the Oriental would shine brighter, and it has satisfied me enough to stock it fairly deep on a subsequent order.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
I’ve not tried the Ascanian No.2, so I cannot give a real comparison.
In the No.2 the perique content was increased to 10%.
The No.1 was my choice with the thought that the Oriental would shine brighter, and it has satisfied me enough to stock it fairly deep on a subsequent order.
Thanks. I’ll give No. 1 a try. There is nothing wrong with Ascanian No. 2. It’s a good tobacco and perhaps it was may fault for expecting it to really stand out from the many similar blends out there. To keep somewhat with the topic - HU’s Flanagan is in the same genre and merits ordering from Estervals.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I guess the round tin of Capstan Blue is the same stuff as in the square ones but ready rubbed? The box for sale is then just some kind of bulk version but equally good? Need a decent amount of it, it's really good tobacco with a pleasantly addictive topping. :D

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I guess the round tin of Capstan Blue is the same stuff as in the square ones but ready rubbed? The box for sale is then just some kind of bulk version but equally good? Need a decent amount of it, it's really good tobacco with a pleasantly addictive topping. :D
Yes it’s the same thing only with longer flakes.

Reactions: luigi

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I had this problem with Danish pipe shop recently. My bank just flat out told me they will not allow it citing European fraud. The Den's are out to get us!!
I ended up using a Discover card without issue. If that helps any..
I was unable to use Amex, but Visa worked fine for me.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
No updates for me sadly....
The original DHL tracking number they send you works with the USPS system once they've received it at the port of entry. That's been my experience anyway.

guess the round tin of Capstan Blue is the same stuff as in the square ones but ready rubbed?
Yep. I prefer the ready-rubbed myself, but I've only seen the bulk as flakes. I also went for the tins because it's kind of a wash once you figure in the cost of jars.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Received my 9th and 10th order from them today. The 9th was ordered 3 weeks ago and the 10th 2 weeks ago. They arrived at the same time. Still no fees or taxes.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am pleased to report that Esterval's seems to have updated for me as well and is showing lots of additional items (including Capstan Blue 450g box) and the sale prices. All Canadians should take note of this as an alternative to the USA online retailers as it seems like a great deal.

I can't comment on what the odds are that CBSA will apply duty to the package. I will provide my anecdotal experience once I receive my order.

Reactions: Casual

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I thought there was an ongoing thread where all of us could post our latest purchases, but I can't seem to find it. So, I'll start this thread and brag for a change.

Recently, I got a couple of extra art jobs from Archie, so I used some of the loot to buy the following:
1,500 grams of HU Director's Cut
One 100 grams tin of HU 5th Anniversary
Five tins of Richmond Navy Flake
One pound box of Capstan Blue
Seven 100 grams tins of Makhuwa
Jim, did you notice that there are more buying options at Estervals for a few of the HU blends? Directors cut is one of them. Now you can buy it in a 250g or 1000g bag. This is very new, I haven’t send them before.

Reactions: JimInks

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've tried to order from them on several occasions and my debit card keeps being rejected. Their alternative payment method is an international bank transfer...
Bank transfer is very common within Germany. It's actually a very nice way of paying for things if you have a bank account here. There are services that do this from an American account for a fee and with exchange rates that are better or worse. I've used TransferWise without problem.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It seems like my delivery from estervals has gone dark...too dark..
No info on USPS or DHL site. I called dhl and they said I would have to call the DHL in Germany as they are different.

Ordered on Oct 1 and being in the east coast it should be here soon!

This is what USPS tracking information says.

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.

October 14, 2019, 11:05 am
Processed Through Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY
October 1, 2019, 2:31 pm
Acceptance
GERMANY

So maybe another two weeks?!

Status
Not open for further replies.