Jim's John Cotton's Double Pressed Blends Reviews.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here are the two latest blends in the John Cotton’s series. These two blends go through several processes. They are pressed, then cut, and then pressed again into crumble cakes. We are approximately a couple weeks away from their official release.
John Cotton’s Double Pressed Kentucky:

The smoky, woody, earthy, moderately dry, spicy and floral, nutty, mildly sweet dark fired Kentucky is the lead component. The Virginias offer some citrus and grass, a bit of wood and earth, a little tangy dark fruit with hints of sugar, spice and floralness as an important condiment. The fermentation is a tad more obvious here than it is in the JC Double Pressed Virginia manufacture.The double pressing eliminates the sharpness and many of the rough edges one usually encounters with dark fired Kentucky, creating a fairly smooth, mellower, matured Kentucky/Virginia blend. The strength is a rung past the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a step or two shy of the medium threshold. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. It won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed. This is an easily broken apart crumble kake designed to suit your packing preference. Burns very cool, clean and a little slow. It has a very consistent, well balanced, fairly rich, modestly sweet (with a little savoriness) flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. Almost an all day smoke, and the experienced veteran will likely consider it to be one. Those newer to dark fired blends will certainly find it repeatable. Has enough body, depth and nuance to continually hold your interest throughout repeat performances.
John Cotton’s Double Pressed Virginia:

The various Virginias offer some citrus and grass, a bit of wood and earth, hints of sugar, spice and sourness, and a little tangy dark fruit, along with a light floral, fermented quality. The double pressing eliminates any sharpness and rough edges, creating a mostly smooth, matured, rather mellow Virginia experience. The strength is in-between mild and the center of mild to medium. The taste is in that center. The nic-hit just passes the mild mark. Won’t bite or get harsh even if you smoke like a freight train. This is an easily broken apart crumble kake designed to suit your packing preference. Burns very cool and clean at a slightly slow pace. It’s mildly sweet with a slight savory note, and has a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and does require a few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. By design, it’s a fairly easy going all day smoke.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hap: that's a tough question to answer. It depends on your personal preference and your tobacco budget. I can only say that if they fit your flavor profile, then they are worth the money. With the FDA rules looming, I say you should try whatever interests you that you can afford. If it becomes something you like, stock up while you can.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Great review Jim! Looking forward to trying these two. Since they are already smoother and mellower I wonder how age will affect these blends? I guess only time will tell. Thanks again.

Reactions: JimInks

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Jim had sent me his reviews prior to posting and I told him that his assessment matches mine to a 'T'. The Virginia is what I call "a Virginia for people who don't usually like Virginias" and the Kentucky has a fully matured aroma and flavor much like what you used to notice years ago when tobacco was extensively aged.
Russ

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Sounds like a good introduction to those not yet skilled enough to truly enjoy VA dominant blends.

I like JCs Smyrna, but I have noticed a touch of dry harshness in the back of the throat that's not there with other lat blends I enjoy. I hope to see some latakia crumble cake from them in the future to see if the pressing helps with that.

Reactions: BROBS and JimInks

billjohnso20

Lurker
Dec 4, 2019
I received a tin of the Double Pressed Kentucky in a sampler from P&C. I fell in love with it immediately! I have only recently returned to pipe smoking after 25-26 years of smoking cigars. My life has slowed down to what it was before my lifestyle stopped accommodating a pipe. That said, I lean more toward aromatic, Black Cavendish blends and I likely always prefer that. I just prefer the velvety smoothness of the smoke. The DP Kentucky has recently started moving me toward other types of blends. I prefer the milder side and the DP Kentucky still does that while bringing in other undertones and flavors. I will never be a Latakia fan as it repulses me, but, I am opening up more to blends that have little to no Black Cavendish. I need to try the DP Virginia next.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Sounds like a good introduction to those not yet skilled enough to truly enjoy VA dominant blends.

I like JCs Smyrna, but I have noticed a touch of dry harshness in the back of the throat that's not there with other lat blends I enjoy. I hope to see some latakia crumble cake from them in the future to see if the pressing helps with that.
Ask and you shall receive. Keep your eyes peeled in the not-too-distant future for an announcement.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.