Jim's Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation: Small Batch Aged Virginia Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The well aged, fermented Virginias provide a lot of grass, hay, tart and tangy citrus, earth, wood, some tangy dark fruit, a little syrupy sugar and honey, a couple pinches of spice, and a light stewed fruitiness. It also has a moderate floral quality, touches of apricot, vinegar and bread, and an acidic sour note. It seems to me that there’s a light sweet casing. The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste barely hits the medium mark. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but it does have a few minor rough edges that are commonly associated with straight Virginias. This ready rubbed tobacco is a little moist, and I recommend a light dry time. Your mileage may vary on that. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow with a moderately complex and very sweetly consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Can be an all day smoke.
One would normally not expect to encounter all the flavor notes that I have in a straight Virginia blend. I don’t know what Virginias were used in the processing, but I would describe it as a melange of FVF, Best Brown, Golden Glow, and 507-C Virginia Slices with a purloined apricot note from Esoterica Virginias, though the last two obviously weren’t used in the manufacture of this product.

Reactions: chopper

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Jim, I love it when I read one of your reviews and say to myself, "yep, tha's what I would have said." But of course I couldn't because I am horrible at describing tobacco. But in this case, I agree completely with your review and picked up most of the various component flavors you discuss so well.
This is a great blend imho. That's about the extent of my subpar reviewing skills.
We've been discussing this blend on Instagram and the overall consensus is that the small batch concept is novel and well suited for tobacco smokers. For example, this blend allows guys to pay a premium to smoke 10 year old Virginia tobacco without having to pay scalping prices or build an extensive cellar and wait.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Great review! This is definitely a complex Virginia that I've thoroughly enjoyed so far. I hope to see more aged small batch products like this in the future.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you for the great review Jim. Will receive my tins tomorrow, now I know what I will try to recognize while smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.