PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This Amphora English blend is due for general release in the next week or two. Here's my review of it.

The earthy, woody, smoky, leathery sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component, but not by much. The spicy, woody, earthy, mildly floral, dry and sour, moderately buttery sweet Orientals provide close competition, and at times, almost upstages the Latakia. The grassy, citrusy, lightly dark fruity Virginias are just above being a condiment in terms of effect, and not by its percentage in the blend. The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium, while the taste just misses the medium mark. The nic-hit is almost as potent as the strength. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has only a light rough edge at times. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a mostly consistent, mildly sweet and smoky, savory flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a lightly lingering pleasant campfire after taste and room note. By design, it’s an all day smoke with a little complexity and depth.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am smoking my first bowl of this. As usual, Jim hit the nail on the head. A very pleasant all-day style English. The Amphora offerings are really marvelous. The only one that I am not crazy about is the Kentucky Blend. I smoke, and enjoy, all genres but, DF just does not hit the pleasure zone as intensely as other leaf.

Reactions: JimInks

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Great job as always, Jim. It is quite nice to see MacBaren investing so heavily in the Amphora brand. I have finished pouches of the Burley and Kentucky blends, both quite excellent for the price. I'm working through a pouch of the original blend right now, and it tastes great, but seems to burn a bit warm for me.. Next, I will be trying the Full Aroma and VA blends, and then the English. Seems to be one hit after another for MacB these days

Reactions: JimInks
Status
Not open for further replies.