PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The very woody, earthy, nutty, cocoa-ish burleys also sport some rugged savoriness. The savory aspect reminds me of aged burley. A small amount of woody, earthy, lightly spicy and sour, floral, dry and nutty, smoky dark fired Kentucky boosts up the blend in an important condimental role. The grassy, lightly citrusy, slightly floral Virginia is far in the background. There are no toppings as per Per Jensen (I always wanted to write that.). The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium, while the taste level almost reaches medium. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite even when pushed, though it does have a rough edge at times. It’s not overly sweet, but the sweetness present is natural. A ready rubbed cut mixture that burns cool, clean and slightly slow with a very consistent flavor from start to finish that also translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a little more than an average number of relights. Even though it has a bit of depth and body, it can an all day smoke if you wish.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks, JimInks, this definitely sounds like a blend in accordance with my preferences, I must assume this is pretty close to A Original Brown minus oriental leaf,and good thing is this very burley is now available in several European countries as well,though a bit pricier than the Amphora regular line offerings,

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Paul: I think it's different enough from the Original to stand on its own. Spicier, less sweeter (the Original has toppings, this does not), with a bolder, more rugged flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member sent me a sample of this from the Chicago pipe show, and jiminks review arrives just in time to whet my appetite after being off the pipe for a while because of a slow-to-heal bug. It sounds right up my street. Thank you for this excellently timed review!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Jiminks: Thanks for another great review.

Back in the day, I never did try the original Amphora. Don't know why. I just didn't. I think I was too caught up in smoking the big names in Virginia, Burley, Latakia and Orientals.

I have now ordered two pouches of the new Amphora and will see if my thoughts and attitude have changed.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Sounds like good stuff, Jim.
Back in the day, I never did try the original Amphora. Don't know why. I just didn't.
I was the same way, although I smoked a lot of Sail and Troost Special Cavendish when I was smoking drugstore blends. I've taken both the Original and Virginia into my rotation. Didn't care for Full Aroma, and the SRBC is not my sort of baccy.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the review. I’ll try it out on my next order along with the amphora Virginia

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the kind words. I usually try not to offer opinions on tobaccos, and would rather let the reviews speak for themselves, but I do think this blend is worth trying. Also, I was told another entry in the Amphora line will be coming later this year, but I don't know anything about it as of now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread illustrates once again that some of the presumably fuddy-duddy pouch blends are well in the running with premium tins if given a level-headed consideration.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've enjoyed the Chicago pipe show sample right along, and still have a bowl or two left. I haven't stretched it, it was just a good sized sample. The flavor is first rate burley, and though the cut is fairly large, it burns well without any extra attention. If you like it, it is worth jarring a few pouches for safe keeping, which I may do, despite my stash.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks Jim. Happens I have a package of that a Lane Ready Rubbed on the way. Going to be a Burley weekend for me.

Read your review on both and can’t wait to give them a try.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
BigPond: I wouldn't say there was. The HH Burley Flake is a little sweeter, less rugged, and a little milder. Both have a touch of dark fired Kentucky, but the Amphora has a tad more of it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have come to the very same conclusion as JimiInks said when we are comparing HH Burley Flake by Mf Barens and Amphora Burley, in my view Both those are very tasty, dependable and high-quality everyday blends. Yet,All Amphoras are surprisingly good value tobaccies with high-quality leaf used in them, were these Amphoras sold in tins they'd go something like $ 9,99 for 1,75oz

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Sutliff sent the New Orleans Pipe Club some Amphora Burley to smoke and review which we did last Thursday. The overall consensus of those attending the meeting was that it was a pleasant smoke and that they would buy more.
I kept sniffing the pouch and wondering where I had smelled something like this before. Then I opened a small sample of George Washington I had brought to share with another member. The Amphora Burley pouch note was very similar to the George Washington. Both had a cocoa aroma. I smoked both that night and felt that the George Washington (which was last made in the mid-1970s) was slightly lighter than the Amphora Burley. I imagine the original George Washington would be almost identical except for the addition of the Orientals in Amphora.
One of our oldest members in age also said he found the Amphora Burley to be similar to the George Washington he remembers.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't remember any dark fired in the GW blend like there is in the AB.

Status
Not open for further replies.