PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Zitotczito: I opened the tin of Yeti Flake, and posted my review yesterday if you care to check it out. Thanks again for the trade.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's too bad the yeti flake has dissapeared from Cupojoes, I grabbed a few tins when it went on sale for 50% off, haven't popped one yet but every review of it gets top marks. I'm thinking it could be flake no.88 from Kolhouse & Kopp, as they are the company that made it for cupojoes.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Jiminks reviews are the first ones I look at. Well written, concise and accurate. Thank Jiminks for all your reviews and sharing of your smoking endeavors.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Andy: I wish I had some of that Flake No. 88 to compare.
Snoopy: I'm happy to be of help, and I thank you for the kind words.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I'll pile on here.
Congrats Jim. I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts and reviews.
Thanks for making me aware of the upcoming Pipe show in Raleigh. Looking forward to attending and finally getting a chance to meet ya in person.
Dino

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Congratulations on a long and distinguished presence here. There are a handful of reviewers I have full faith in, and you are at the top of that list. You have helped mold my palate and purchasing in a way to make me a much better student of tobacco and pipe smoking. May you have 20k more posts, if you so desire! I thank you! :clap:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you, Mayfair, for the very kind words. I'll keep posting. I enjoy your posts, too.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Jim has been a dear friend for some years, and we are on the phone just about every day. I can tell you from personal experience that he has a pipe in his mouth constantly. Well, not exactly. Sometimes he finishes a bowl and takes a minute or two to pack another and light it. Sometimes he goes into a momentary overload when he's trying to decide which tobacco to sample next. This man's palate is simply uncanny! He can accurately remember a tobacco he smoked some years ago and accurately describe it to you. He is to tobacco what Robert Parker is to wine. Over the years I have learned from reading his reviews exactly what a tobacco will taste like, and when I sample that tobacco, there it is--exactly what Jim said. Jim has learned my own taste preferences perfectly, and has, on numerous occasions, sometimes told me in advance whether I will enjoy a tobacco or not. Experience has shown me that he has always been right on the mark!
And here's the thing: Jim never downgrades a tobacco because he doesn't care for it. He rates it for what it is, not for what he likes or doesn't like. That level of skill and personal integrity is rare, and particularly helpful to those of us who want to read a review that isn't cluttered with the likes of "Well, I don't care for aromatics so I'll downgrade this tobacco to two stars." I have seen Jim give four stars to a tobacco that he doesn't particularly care for, but believes that it is well made, and accurately reflects the blender's skill in producing a particular taste experience.
Keep up the good work, Jim. Every review that you post is a delight to read, and a most worthwhile addition to the overall store of tobacco knowledge.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Very well said Eric!! It's somewhat surprising to see so many reviewers who rate based upon their personal preferences and not the merits of that which is being reviewed. I've bothered to review very few, but I try to list the blends I do enjoy such that my piddly ass review has a context of some sort. You're correct in that to do otherwise and do it well requires a vast knowledge pool and appreciation that most of us do not possess. That's what makes his reviews so helpful, the Golden Standard for go-to reviews.
As one who actually does claim to enjoy some of the "hard to get" blends, it aggravates me to no end to see reviews saying "it's overrated" or "not worth all the trouble". All that tells me is that the reviewer is a hipster douch who believes others are beneath him, informative but not helpful.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for the kind words, Nate.
Thank you, too, Eric, not only for the compliments and insights, but for all the friendship over the years. We both learn a lot from each other on so many subjects, and every conversation is lively, fun, and informative. It's a great friendship!

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Before I buy a new blend, I always read Jim's review. His objectivity, honesty, and knowledge have always led me to the correct blend. Congratulations Jim, please keep them coming!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Congrats!! I like reading your posts as well as your reviews on the tobacco review site. :clap:
member roth with maybe 17K.
No comparison. JimInks has good stuff people want to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.