PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I just saw a group photo taken in 1944 in Picasso's studio. John Paul Sartre was clenching a straight pipe. That is the guy who wrote in his autobio that he invented existentialism to get girls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
John Paul was short and slight and was wall-eyed, but highly energetic and mastered the politics of academia in France, whatever you make of his work. I tried to read "Being and Nothingness" for many months; it was incredibly repetitious and deep in philosophical patois. Unfortunately, it later turned out that the inner circle of the Cambodian communist party that prompted "the killing fields" was mostly made up of his former students. How much you can lay that at his feet is unknown, but it's not a promising association. I think once he established himself as a big wheel writer and public intellectual, he social life was secure. Supposedly, he was an active and effective member of the French resistance in WWII, although it is difficult to assess who did what, exactly.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
sart1.jpg

(Although it's probably impossible to make JPS "funny".) :P

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
While we're on the subject of great thinkers, it seems that a cop stopped Heisenberg for speeding. He walked up to the car window, and said: "Sir, I stopped you for going over the speed limit. Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" To which Heisenberg replied: "No, Officer, but I know exactly where I am."

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Jean-Paul Sartre walks into a coffee shop and goes up to the counter. “What do you want?” asks the barista. Sartre thinks for a long while. “What do? I want?” he asks, and wanders off with a dazed look on his face.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel comes in a few minutes later. He goes up to the counter and gives a tremendously long custom order in German, specifying exactly how much of each sort of syrup he wants, various espresso shots, cream in exactly the right pattern, and a bunch of toppings, all added in a specific order at a specific temperature.
The barista can’t follow him, so just gives up and hands him a small plain coffee. He walks away. The people behind him in line are very impressed with his apparent expertise, and they all order the same thing Hegel got. The barista gives each of them a small plain coffee, and they all remark on how delicious it tastes and what a remarkable coffee connoisseur that Hegel is. “The Hegel” becomes a new special at the shop and is wildly popular for the next seventy years.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I got a million of 'em folks...
Gottfried Leibniz comes in around 8:00, goes up to the counter and orders a muffin. The barista says he’s lucky since there is only one muffin left. Suddenly Isaac Newton shoves his way up to the counter, saying Leibniz cut in line and he was first. Leibniz insists that he was first. The two of them come to blows.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I played drums in the 60's. Didn't work for me
I played drums in the 90's... it worked a little TOO well.
Hegel walks into a coffee shop. He orders a boiling hot coffee and finds it unpleasant. He orders an ice coffee, and notes its inferiority. He orders a warm coffee, shouts "Eureka" and pisses himself on the way to the restroom.
@dublinesque - Best Star Wars ever !! :)

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Actually, it was Bertrand Russell who came in a little later. He went up to the counter and ordered the Hegel. He took one sip, and exclaimed “This just tastes like plain coffee! Why is everyone making such a big deal over it?”

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, but was it being in itself or for itself? (These terms are some of JPS' rap in "Being and Nothingness.")

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Way back in the day, I had some collegiate philosophy. Then in grad school, I was taking courses in systematic theology to the point at which I thought my head was going to explode. I got into a long conversation with my professor and finally exasperated, "Isn't this all rather just mental masturbation?", to which he replied, "Yes,(with a sly semi-smile).. we must earn our salaries somehow... but don't tell anyone." Ahhhhhh... "truth". I went back to playing bass(well, tuba) and it was far more worthy of my time and effort. As for chicks... there ARE chicks that fall for tubists... they tend to be fine, robust women with viking helmets, spears, and significant round shields on their torso armor. Nothing like valkyries carrying one off to Valhalla!! Hmmmmmmmm... what a great name/concept for pipe tobacco blend!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jean Paul did smoke pipes. I want to say they were Chacom, but they looked like Dunhills to me. What kind of a Frenchman would that be?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The Hegel joke is good metaphor as well.
Unfortunately, it later turned out that the inner circle of the Cambodian communist party that prompted "the killing fields" was mostly made up of his former students. How much you can lay that at his feet is unknown, but it's not a promising association.
Seems to be a problem with recent intellectualism in general. I wonder how many of these reactions are due simply to fear of overpopulation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmH1xQ2Pf4

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
If I had to guess, I would guess that many who offer criticism don't really understand what they are criticizing. Even though they might say or think that they do, because they read or heard something once or twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.