PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
First of all, l have a large tin of Union Leader that is from the middle of the sixties. It is a little boring for my tastes. So I had a weird thought of adding something to it. I had a bottle of honey whiskey in the cabinet. I found a jar lid small enough to fit inside the mason jar. Put about a half shot in the lid and sealed up the jar. It has been percolating for almost two weeks now. The wacky thing is that it has a strange smell of fresh cut apples developing. Have I stumbled upon the secret? When I say fresh cut apples, I mean strong. Any idea what happened? What should my next experiment be? Will smoke it soon and keep you all up to date.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Adding flavorings seems hit and miss, but I hope in this case it is a hit. Let us know. I'd go with sandollars' suggestion and use condiment tobaccos to jazz it up. I had a tin of premium English that lost its Latakia after about three bowls, maybe because it had aged quite a while. Rather than throw it out, I pepped each bowl up with something -- dark fired, burley, Turkish, Perique, Lat, or whatever. Some worked better than others, but all were better than the blend without its own Lat, and some were delicious.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Update! I had a bowl yesterday while putting up decorations. Had a little dry time. It improved a little but still not the best. Strange aftertaste and head spinning after the bowl. Nicotine buzz. Still not up to snuff. I do have some killer perique aging in a jar. Do Not smoke perique straight. It is like smoking a swamp. The vitamin N will make you green.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Update! I had a bowl yesterday while putting up decorations. Had a little dry time. It improved a little but still not the best. Strange aftertaste and head spinning after the bowl. Nicotine buzz. Still not up to snuff. I do have some killer perique aging in a jar. Do Not smoke perique straight. It is like smoking a swamp. The vitamin N will make you green.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!!!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Drink the whiskey and add a pinch of condiment tobacco to each bowl. You’ll probably have better results.

Reactions: dcon

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Among others, I keep tins of aged perique and McCraines 83’ red ribbon on hand to pitch my tobacco rotation a change-up on occasion.
Really helps to keep even my favorite tobaccos from over familiarity.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I have a jar of McClellends perique well aged and dynamite dangerous. I cracked open the jar of Union Leader and it has an apple cider smell. I am tempted to add a vanilla bean to it. Maybe I will use it for codger street credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.