PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
While jarring my latest TAD haul my careless led to my mixing up Black Irish X and Brown Irish X. I figured I would just leave them together and order again another time. Are these blends that distinct? I'm not up for trying each piece of rope to solve the problem right now, or keeping each rope separate indefinitely.
Perhaps theses to blends comingling will lead to something tasty?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Should be OK to use one jar to store both ropes, without crossover.
Made with the same ingredients as the Black Irish X; Brown Irish X (same as twist) comes straight off the spinning machine without any additional processing. The absence of the pressure and heating process means this tobacco retains all of it's strength.
Notes: Pipesandcigars.com list the components as burley and Kentucky. Smokingpipes.com list the components as Virginia and provides the following description: "Brown Irish X by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. is dark fired and dark air cured. This rope is stoved less than the Black Irish."
Black Twist, because the cooking process removes some of the stronger tar and nicotine elements, provides a milder smoke than the brown twist.
(Lifted from TR.com without correcting the lousy punctuation.)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Let’s not be too hard on the OP.

Maybe he’s blind. Or in prison.

Or maybe, like nost of us, he just hoards tobacco, but doesn’t actually smoke it.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
just hoards tobacco, but doesn’t actually smoke it.
C'mon woods... Nobody here does that right? That's funny right there.
I'm with Cosmic on this one too. I can NEVER jar something without leaving out a bowl or three to try immediately or shortly thereafter.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
These two ropes look the same, no brown/black tint variation whatsoever. I have jars sit for months that I have not tried yet.
So I absolutely hoard tobacco I have yet to try, but will certainly get around to it eventually.
And as always, keep me in your prayers.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
mixing up Black Irish X and Brown Irish X
I wouldn't stress too much over it. Just label the jar "Experiment A - Hybrid Mix", let it sit for a while and then give it a whirl. Who knows, it may lead to a new favorite. However, just in case the blend really goes South, I'll add you to my Prayer List.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Or maybe, like most of us, he just hoards tobacco, but doesn’t actually smoke it.
The primary value is in the smoking, but the secondary, hoarding, though a lesser joy, is joy nonetheless; and joy, regardless of the amount, is always worth the having.

Dec 28, 2015
These two ropes look the same, no brown/black tint variation whatsoever. I have jars sit for months that I have not tried yet.
So I absolutely hoard tobacco I have yet to try, but will certainly get around to it eventually.
And as always, keep me in your prayers.
Pretty good response there mityahicks - even though I personally don't think the jackasses that were acting like 12 year old kids toward you deserved any response.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ah! The Humor Impaired check in!
Yes, the OP gave an excellent response. Threw the ball right back with a laugh and a smile.
But he didn’t deny being in prison, did he?
-Jack Ass

Dec 28, 2015
Sometimes the spectacle of supposedly grown men trying so hard to be cute can be a little off putting. But maybe that’s just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.