PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
However your tobacco arrives: tins, cans, bags, zip locks, cylinders, pouches, the empty skulls of your enemies or dropped by the tobacco fairy.....
Open the "container" and place it in a "Ball" or "Kerr" style jar. Bigger jars are not better jars. Make sure the rim of the jar is clean, then place a new lid on jar and tighten it down with the ring.
Fill it to whatever your hearts desire. The more the better though.
Fill out some form of label with the date. You can make it extremely simple or you can get extremely carried away. They are yours. Do as you will.
Place them in a temperature controlled DARK area.
Be patient. You'll be rewarded.
I've just answered all of your questions about long term tobacco storage.
But, don't forget to overthink this simple primer, like you are right now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
jar-jar-approves.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
But...but...what about rotation? I mean no good cellar is complete without a well thought out established excel table that tells you when you should rotate the front to the back, the side to the middle, the middle to the bottom, and the bottom to the top...

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
I have a question!
The words "cool" and "dark" are often used in cellar advice, but you said "temperature controlled". Does this mean any dark area of a normal 65-75 degree home will work and is there an optimal temperature, i.e. is 65 better than 75?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't put that much thought into it. All of my tobacco is in my living room closet, some has been there for a couple of decades with no ill effect.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't put that much thought into it. All of my tobacco is in my living room closet, some has been there for a couple of decades with no ill effect
Duane, does your closet smell of tobacco from your 'sealed' tins?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've got 3 to 4 dozen 4oz mason jars each with 2oz or less of a different blend in them which is what I smoke out of.
My cellared tins are in individual sealed (non-vacuum) mylar bags each with a small silica absorber packet in it for long term storage.
I'm not intending anything for extreme long term storage on purpose, it just kind of worked out that way. I buy and store based on what's on sale and how much free money I have. All of my cellared tins of SPC PP SR could theoretically last me until I die but if they go on a really good sale, well, I might end up with a few more. In my mind, it's not about a "tobacco-pocalypse" but rather I can afford it now so I don't have to worry about things like losing my job, being placed on disability, and other possible future woes. Anything happens, I'm good with my cellar. Anything that benefits from aging is just a bonus.
Also, long term storage, non-vaccum, mylar bags and silica packets are really cheap. Especially if you buy 250 at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.