PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
My first James Upshall. Based on my research, it is likely from the 1979-1981 era, although I am no expert and would welcome any correction to that estimated timeline. Some before and after pictures

ju1-600x210.jpg

ju2-600x200.jpg

ju3-600x365.jpg

After:

img_3707-600x341.jpg

img_3708-356x600.jpg

img_3712-600x473.jpg

Big thank you to Ric at Briarville Pipe repair for the restoration work!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
These are a couple I no longer have.
AHaPaIY.jpg

This is one of only two stems I've seen like this. I have the other one and it's a billiard.

GvKnkIG.jpg

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
jpmcwjr - Thanks! I agree - it turned out better than I even hoped it would. As I did not do the restoration, I am not sure if there was any sanding involved, but if there was, I see no evidence of it on the pipe now. The "before" pictures are from the ebay listing. I took the after pictures with my phone.
hauntedmyst - interesting stem on that second one. Never seen a JU like tat before. Love the look of the bowl, but to me, the stem dis distracting from the beauty of the bowl.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I had a chance to smoke my new JU (pictured above) over the holiday weekend. Gave it a run with some PS English Luxury Flake. Smoked like a charm. I think this will become one of my favorite pipes. Not only does it look great, it smokes great. After winning the ebay bid, I wondered if I had overpaid, I now have no regrets!

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
would welcome any correction to that estimated timeline.

Hello jojoc and welcome to the forum. What a gorgeous shape, lovely grain and beautifully restored.

Yes, I think your dating is 'spot on' - I reckon 1980, when we started to get some fine briar from the Arta Company, Arta in Greece. I hope you enjoy it!

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Ken - Thank you for your reply! Never thought I would have a chance to have the person who likely cut my pipe comment on it. So cool.
I am loving this forum. I started smoking a pipe about 20 years ago. Smoked through a rack pipe, then picked up a Peterson. Moved to cigars and only smoke my pipe a few times a year. Moved back to pipes a few years ago and have really enjoyed learning more about pipes. This forum is a goldmine of information. I had never heard of James Upshall until I read this thread awhile back. Reading thought it, I came to the conclusion that a JU pipe needed to be my next pipe. Now I have it and I love it!
thanks again.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
While I have a number of British pipes (Sasieni, Charatan, Loewe, BBB...) in my collection, I do not have an Upshall. I have been reading this thread and other info on the web to get a feel for these pipes.
I found one today at a reasonable price that appealed to me. I'm guessing it was made sometime in the 1980's. It shows a little wear, but that doesn't concern me that much... I show a little wear since the 80's too.
Estate-Tilshead-James-Upshall-Billard-Presmoked-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-47309-w1100-h486.jpg

Estate-Tilshead-James-Upshall-Billard-Presmoked-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-47310-w1100-h478.jpg

Estate-Tilshead-James-Upshall-Billard-Presmoked-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-47311-w1100-h387.jpg

Estate-Tilshead-James-Upshall-Billard-Presmoked-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-47312-w1100-h379.jpg

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Given the uniformity of the James Upshall logo and stamp, it appears that it is engraved rather than hand-stamped. I would put it in the 1982-89 time frame.
Very nice looking pipe!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I wish I would have developed severe PAD while I was stationed in England all those years ago... Stereo equipment and vinyl was my jones back then.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Hello craig61a

I like this pipe. As mentioned previously, I think this pipe was made between 1982 - 1989 although I would think it is more like 1982-83. In those days, we made a few 'thin-shanked' Billiards and here is a fine example. The tobacco chamber seems to have been 'knifed' but I think this can be easily rectified - otherwise it looks in really good condition. I think this pipe was either sold in London or Holland. This may sound controversial but I would very lightly wipe some pure alcohol over the bowl, shank and stem and the colour of this walnut stain will lighten up to reveal its original finish and bring the grain out. Then I would polish it with some Carnauba wax or similar and a soft cloth to seal it. Very nice!!! :)

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Thank you for your input. Incidentally, 82, 83 were the years I was stationed in England. I was at RAF Lakenheath, and a brief temporary duty at RAF Sculthorpe up near The Wash.
I usually wash or wipe down my estates when they first arrive. Depending on how dingy they are, I will use Murphy’s Oil Soap and a brass bristle brush, lacquer thinner, or just grain alcohol.
This particular piece is indeed in quite good condition, so a minimalist approach will suffice. I may or may not do anything with top. I’ll wait until it arrives to see how I will proceed.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Those were the days! Every time a person shows an Upshall pipe from 1978-89 I go right down memory lane!

I don't know anything about 'Oil soap', brass bristle brush or lacquer thinner (we never applied any lacquer to our pipes). I would not do anything with the top, what I meant was to keep the internal part of the tobacco chamber nicely rounded so it carbonises evenly.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Ok... I’m always hesitant to top a pipe, but unless there’s severe damage to the rim, I usually leave it alone.
Lacquer thinner works really good for removing decades of built up grime, and stain also. I sometimes do that on old estates before re-staining to even out the briar. Ends up looking a lot better in the end.
Here’s a Crown of London I refurbished last week that was absolutely horrid. Dark, a few blotchy stains on briar. Looks like a new pipe. One of the most enjoyable aspects of the pipe hobby for me is cleaning these old pipes up...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Mail Call - I received the Upshall I ordered. Very happy with it even though the rim is a little ragged. It’s huge! At least a 2 hour pipe... And a nice block of wood came in the mail too.
830-BF67-C-BFA3-4482-B512-80-CE2-E479307.jpg

346-AC314-F9-DB-48-D0-8075-3-D9888-F4-A3-E7.jpg

86-F3-EF0-F-23-BC-4040-8791-B66785085-DC0.jpg

F3-FEF54-F-9-F21-457-A-B723-330-EAD7-A251-B.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Thanks. I had some ideas for the blocks, but after more reading, I’ve learned that the block is going to dictate what can be done. So I’m just trying to wrap my head around that, and see what I can come up with. I have made a few pipes out of ash and lilac wood just to get the process down. I started on a small billiard with a smaller ebauchon, and I’m to the point where I need to get a sanding station set up. I’ve got an old motor and speed control I can use, but I need make a bench and get it rigged up.
Granted, could just drill and sand, but want to make something that really stands apart from the average pipe.
Just another hobby to keep me busy...
I came across another Tilshead that looks a lot like the one I just received, albeit a little smaller. It should be here in a few days.
Incidentally, while reading through this thread it was mentioned that you got the Hermes machine in Aug of 83. So that would push the mfg of this pipe up a year or two. But an example from the golden years nonetheless.