PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
What a very, very unusual Upshall. I think that this is the only 'double beaded' pipe that we made up until 1989.

I think that, whilst the James Upshall name has been engraved on the shank, it looks like the JU logo on the mouthpiece has been hand-pressed with the JU stamp - is that correct? If so, it dates the pipe to around late 1982.When we started engraving the shanks, we did not think to try engraving the logo too - that came 6 months or so later.

Yes, it has been well-loved. The lightish walnut stain has darkened over the past 35 years.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Thank you Ken for the informative and interesting feedback. 1982!

I've spent last fews days getting to know ['double beaded' ]. It was carefully smoked, chamber is great condition, rim clean, only one small toothmark under the stem button to speak of. Smoked dry and cool, cleaner pass right to the heel..
Yes, I see -- there is a difference bwtn the engraved shank nomenclature vs the not-engraved stamped JU logo. I have other JU examples that confirm yes later pipes have both engraved... another way to date James Upshall pipes! Thanks!

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Actually, Ken, I've taken a closer look at the JU logo on this pipe. This logo I now think is engraved, too, NOT stamped. I'm afraid the dating should be adjusted?
The lighting in the photo probably made it look softer vs the sharpness of engraving.

Under a printer's loupe, I can see a crisper cut to the letters, whereas on another pipe, the JU letters appear softer and have rounder corners----and are larger too.
I wonder, are the engraved JUs smaller overall vs the stamped older examples we see every so often?

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
After reading this thread and the thread on Dunhill Briar quality, I must say that I have a new appreciation for James Upshall pipes. When I first picked up the pipe, back in the mid 90's, most of the Upshall pipes that I saw looked to "Chunky" for my taste. The briar was outstanding, but just something about the bowl/stem relation that didn't look right. Now seeing some of the pictures posted in this thread, and I am completely blown away. I do have a couple of questions that hopefully one of the "experts" can answer. First, when did the red logo come into play and is there a story behind it and second, who did the sandblasting for James Upshall when they first started to turn out blasts? Any light that can be shed would be greatly appreciated.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Upshall started making 'carved' pipes ie not smooth in 1987. Our US agents had such a demand for these that we started doing them. I think it was Ser Jacopo that showed us the tools they used.

Barry told me that the sandblasted pipes were done by Bill Taylor (Ashton). Apparently Bill offered to do them and then took so long completing the orders that it was not really effective.

The JU logo in red was something Barry came up with after 1989. As all the logos are coloured in using crayola wax, he simply took another colour out of the box I suppose - sometimes these ideas came from a particular distributor in this case possibly Italy.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Thank you so much for the sharing a behind the scenes look into the pipe making world. I had to laugh about Bill Taylor taking too long. Bill was a great guy but anyone who knew him could tell you that speed was not part of his forte.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Got a new one, not sure if Ken is still around but I’d love his take! A P grade.
That sitter Dublin Ken has for sale almost made me break, I’d love to own one of his pipes some day.
Smoking this one now and it’s fantastic.
XByRza5.jpg

SlldcmY.jpg

pOuX8Yq.jpg

787twag.jpg

925bL6Y.jpg

Reactions: Jef

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
I also have a huuuuge bent billiard P I should post one day. It’s so big that it’ll like part with it, but it’s nice.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I've been trying to acquire an Upshall, but Mrs. Karen Ezrati has been so inconsistent in her replies to a degree that made me give up on the idea of buying from her. Can anyone recommend a different Upshall seller, preferrably unsmoked ones?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
just to update a couple of recent aquisitions

a P grade apple? unsmoked stamped size 4

s-l1600-9-600x450.jpg

a P grade bent billiard size 5

dsc_6092-700x700-600x600.jpg

and an S grade unsmoked

s-l1600-101-450x600.jpg

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
What a lovely 'P' grade Apple shape and with some fine grain. This one was made after 1989 as a size no. was only added after I had left the firm. The 'S' grade looks much earlier. If the leather bag came with this one (nice soft lambskin!), the date of this pipe would be around 1984. Great acquisitions!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
thanks for you input Ken,the seller of the S grade is not a pipe person (he lists mainly lighters) but stated he thought pre 1990.I have been lucky to find them unsmoked.It has no size marking

I also have this on marked P grade EX it has cleaned up well,only tar on the rim no scorching and like all of them smokes wonderfully

s-l1600-13-455x600.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Hi Ken,
I wonder if you remember Diana from the Up Down Tobacco Shop in Chicago? She was the president of the RTDA for a bit and a huge fan of Upshall pipes. She used to stock them pretty deeply (had a least the best selection in Chicago). She was my pipe mentor and I had the joy of knowing her for 30 years or so. Luckily, I worked for her for years and was/am a fan of Upshall's. I bought nearly every large Billiard she had and still have them proudly in my collection. No matter what happens (I haven't read the whole thread), it's been one of England's grandest pipe houses!

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I wonder if you remember Diana from the Up Down Tobacco Shop in Chicago?

Hello hauntedmyst.
Yes I do remember Diana. She had as much passion for pipes as I do - such fond memories.

I have taken a photo of a photo of Diana when she was visiting the Tilshead Pipe Co / Upshall in 1984.

In this photo I am showing her how I cut plateau briar on the saw.
dsc067181-600x437.jpg

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Hauntedmyst, wow. I remember your avatar from several years ago, 6 to be exact? Quite unique, and funny. Ken sells some of his work on the Scandpipes website. It lists several makers so just look for Ken Barnes. Also, if interested this same forum of "British Pipes" has a thread titled "Ken Barnes Returns To Finding The Grain, about 22 lines down, in case you haven't seen it yet. Very enjoyable read and some pictures of his recent work