PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I really liked the Cumberland stem Floyd Norwood made for Number Six' Dunhill a few weeks ago, and wondered what my my new James Upshall B Silver Spigot would look like with a Cumberland stem. I contacted Floyd and the price quoted was more than reasonable, so I shipped it off to Tennessee before even smoking it. I just received the pipe and I am quite impressed with the work and service.
Floyd received the pipe on Saturday morning and called me before noon that day to let me know the new stem had been made and it was ready to ship. I had emailed Floyd earlier that day and asked if the old stem, now minus the silver mount could be made to work as well. Floyd had already packaged the pipe, but opened it back up after reading my email and cleaned the old Black stem to use as well. All told the pipe was out for six days total, that is pretty impressive service.
I asked Floyd to mirror the dimensions of the original stem and he nailed it on all accounts. Now, I have a travel stem to use as well. The Cumberland stem he uses is quite nice and he even was able to match the grain if you will as compared to the briar on this nice B grade Upshall.
For $38 shipped, I'm a happy smoker. I'm smoking the pipe now and it smokes wonderfully, what a great little pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It came that way, via Ebay & Smokers Haven. I've now seen two other Upshall Silver Spigots and they are build the same way. I thought at first that perhaps that black stem wasn't original, as it had no "JU" stamp. But the two others (one on Ebay, Mike G has one at BB) are also just plain black stems. I guess Upshall sent them to Upshall who made the stem as well as the silver work?
I'll use the black stem for travel use, when I typically like a pipe to clench.
I've discovered it is hard to take a decent shot of a silver-spigot pipe, the silver does something to the light, I either get it too bright or too dark.....
My original posting:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/james-upshall-bsilver-spigot-addition

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Floyd and his lovely Wife should be considered national treasures. I've never done pipe related business with a better outfit.
Al, I don't need to tell you, but that's a terrific looking pipe, either way.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I had emailed Floyd earlier that day and asked if the old stem, now minus the silver mount could be made to work as well.
I see, now. (I should read more closely.) I thought the bottom pic (minus the silver) was how the pipe looked originally.
That is amazing work -- and all for only $38.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Floyd was pretty matter-of-fact when I remarked about his quick work. I hadn't even received the USPS notification that the pipe had been delivered, and he had it finished. He said he knows all pipe makers don't work that way, but he doesn't like to let projects linger.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That settles it. I've been putting off getting a new cumberland stem for a pipe I have, but now I know where to send it.

Jan 8, 2013
yeah that makes two cumberlands I've seen now by him. The more I see those, the more I want one. Seriously thinking about having a stem made for a pipe or two of my own. I think a cumberland would look amazing on this....
CAM00176.jpg
[/url][/img]

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That turned out very nice Al. I have two cumberlands...both on Baki meers. They really are sleek and comfortable stems.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am drooling over that one. Gorgeous all around. Capacious bowl, spigot no less, glowing patina, and splendid cumberland to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.